I received an email regarding update to 7 ; 1Password 7.2 brings full support for Dark Mode and mult

baryaj
baryaj
Community Member

I received an email regarding update to 7; it stated "1Password 7.2 brings full support for Dark Mode and multiple security enhancements that were added in macOS 10.14, including app notarization a hardened runtime. Jump on over our announcement post all the details. And if you haven’t updated yet, now would be great time do that. 🙂". I acquired 1 Password and am licensed thorough the Apple App Store. I run three devices; a Mac Pro (@Macos High Sierra 10.13.6), an iPhone 6, and an iPad Pro (both operating @ iOS 12.0.1). I have had a lot of trouble updating the 1Password software on these devices in the past and I am asking for help. The last time everything got out of sync and totally messed up and I had to go back to a backed up copy and reload it. I am still running on it (6.8.9) and paranoid to try and update to a higher version. Please help. Thank you. Barry. PS: Is the update to 7..... free?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: see above
OS Version: see above
Sync Type: wylan (I will not use cloud)
Referrer: forum-search:I received an email regarding update to 7 ; 1Password 7.2 brings full support for Dark Mode and multiple security enhancements that were added in macOS 10.14, including app notarization and a hardened runtime. Jump on over to our macOS announcement post for all the details. And if you haven’t updated to 1Password 7 yet, now would be a great time to do that. 🙂". I acquired and am licensed thorough the Apple App Store. I run three devices; a Mac Pro (@Macos High Sierra 10.13.6), an iPhone 6, and an iPad Pro (both operating @ iOS 12.0.1). I have had a lot of trouble updating the 1Password software on these devices and ask for help. The last time everything got out of sync and totally messed up and I had to go back to a backed up copy and reload it. I am still running on it (6.8.9) and paranoid to try and update to a higher version. Please help. Thank you. Barry

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

No, the update from 1PW6 to 1PW7 is a paid upgrade if you have a licence. It is free is you have a subscription.

• (moved to the Mac category)

Hi @baryaj

danco is correct. Licenses are per-version and per-platform. They do not include upgrades. If you'd like an option that includes upgrades we do offer 1Password membership, which is a subscription service, and it includes access to the latest versions of all of our 1Password applications. You can read more about the upgrade (and pricing) here:

https://blog.1password.com/1password-7-for-mac-the-best-ever/

Licensing is no longer available through the App Store. If you'd like to continue with the licensing route you'd need to download the app from our website directly:

https://1password.com/downloads

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• baryaj
    baryaj
    Community Member

Thanks danco and Ben. I presume that there will come the day when my licensed app will no longer operate and I will be 'coded' out of all my sites for which I purchased 1Password to help protect. Such occurrences seem to be the rule of apps. I will explore the membership pathway but doubt that it will be much different, i.e. new updates/releases equal new 'prices to pay'. Thanks again for your prompt and helpfully honest reply to my query. baryaj

• baryaj
    baryaj
    Community Member

Well, I visited the upgrade and licensing sites linked above. I also reviewed a number of other comments in other message chains. It seems to me that for all the good your system has to offer, the group has a truly weak link in customer communication, especially when dealing with upgrades/downloads and normal housekeeping. Since you do not believe in the art of human intercourse through the spoken word, you must do a better, much better job in instructional 'show and tell'. Bottom line; you may have the best password security functionality in the world BUT if non-geek users/subscribers can't do simple thinks like downloading and installing updates and upgrades without intervention you have trouble in river city. Like others I read in the comments area(s), i will be looking at other options; options with a heart for non-geek users. I believe you have a good app BUT it causes too much heartburn for an ole-timer like me. Perhaps Dave has lost site of the 'kiss' factor - keep it simple stupid!

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Trouble in river city. Trouble, that starts with a T and that rhymes with P and that stands for Password.

As an old-timer myself I have never had any trouble following updates, upgrades, etc, but then I do read forums, blogs, and the like with avidity. I do agree with you that making things clear to users in the first place is a weakness of AgileBits.

But do stay with AgileBits if you can. Not only do they provide an excellent password manager but their support is excellent even though initial explanations could often be improved.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@baryaj

I presume that there will come the day when my licensed app will no longer operate and I will be 'coded' out of all my sites for which I purchased 1Password to help protect.

If you continue to use a version of 1Password that's older and no longer receiving development attention, then yes, eventually it will become unstable as things around it continue to change (like macOS and your browser(s), which I assume you will continue to update). It just isn’t practical to expect to be able to continue to upgrade all components of a system while leaving a single one frozen in time. There comes a point where that just doesn’t work any longer. Not today, and not tomorrow...but that day will come if you continue to use an older version of 1Password -- or frankly, any other software.

However, you won't be "coded out" of your 1Password data in such a case if you take precautions to make sure you have robust backups and a good sync setup. You just won't be able to use the data in that old version, for one reason or another.

To be clear, your existing purchase of 1Password from the Mac App Store will work as long as you have hardware and software (macOS) on which you can still run it. But 1Password 7 for Mac is now an entirely new product and a new purchase for everyone; there is not and never has been a way to pay one time for 1Password and get free upgrades for life. We'd love to have you join us on the new 1Password 7 for Mac that supports Mojave and Dark Mode -- it's quite beautiful if you like the darker look (in fact, that's what I run), and if you're looking for something that's much easier to both install, upgrade to new version and use (no syncing setup required), then I'd recommend a 1password.com membership. Except that your original post says "WLAN -- I won't use cloud." That's certainly a legitimate choice you can make, but it means you'll be responsible for setting up and maintaining your own sync. It hardly seems fair to say you absolutely will not consider a system we spent a great deal of time creating (1Password.com memberships) that DOES solve many of these problems...and then continue to blame us for the effort it requires to set things up manually and the problems that occur when things get out of sync. You're welcome to choose whatever method of using 1Password seems best to you, and we'll support you regardless...but there are indeed differences - advantages and disadvantages - to any choice you make. Let us know if you need further assistance. :)

• baryaj
    baryaj
    Community Member

Well, I tried to sync with my iPad since I had to reset a ton of my passwords due to issues with the 1Password app. Sync worked BUT NOW I HAVE A TON OF DUPLICATES WITH MANY HAVING THE OLD RESET PASSWORD!!!!! My guess is that I was running under the other 1Password app on it and everything went as bad as it could. I really need help here!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@baryaj - sorry to hear you're continuing to have difficulties with sync. If you used WLAN sync from a device (or a source) which was not previously associated with that source, then yes, you'll have duplicates. Did you make a backup on either device before attempting this sync/merge?

• baryaj
    baryaj
    Community Member

Lars,

No to the backup. Never had to before as the sync always worked seamlessly well without any hitches before. Now that I am stuck with a mess, is there a way to save in a 'safe' place my information? Then (I'm thinking) delete 1Pasword (ALL of it) from my three devices. Then, acquire membership and load the new release onto each of my three devices separately and then populate the app on my Mac with the 'saved' data and then sync to the other two devices?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@baryaj - so, 1Password for Mac will have been making automatic backups for you about once a day; you can restore from that backup prior to the trouble, and then yes, you can upgrade to a 1password.com membership. I'd do it this way, if that's what you're thinking:

Before you begin this process, turn OFF syncing on your iOS devices, in Settings > Sync.

1. Open 1Password 6 for Mac and click Preferences > Backups.
    2. Choose the most-recent backup that's from before things got merged/duplicated, and restore it.
    3. Open your favorite browser and visit the main 1Password sign-up page, and sign up for a 1password.com membership. Make sure you print out your Emergency Kit and write your Master Password on it, save this in a safe place. You can also save it to a secure PDF if you prefer.
    4. In 1Password 6 for Mac, open Preferences > Accounts and click the plus button in the lower left corner to add your new account.
    5. Scan your setup code, or enter your details manually. You should now have two vaults, your Primary vault with your (restored) data in it, plus your Personal vault from your 1password.com account (which should be empty).
    6. Use these instructions to migrate your data from your Primary vault into your Personal vault.
    7. When you're certain you've moved everything over, click Preferences > Advanced and un-check the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1password accounts." This will delete your old, now-empty Primary vault, and leave you running only your 1password.com account data.
    8. If everything with that data looks correct, then on your iOS devices, delete 1Password and re-install it from the App Store, then on first run, sign into your new 1password.com account.

That should take care of everything, but let us know if you run into any snags.

This discussion has been closed.