To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Can I ever recover my 1password account if I don't have a secret key?

nataliejz
nataliejz
Community Member

I was noticing on my iphone6 (I am still on 11.4.1) that the 1password app wasn't opening, multiple times. So I deleted the app and re-downloaded it. Now, I can't log on without a secret key. I didn't even know what that was and do not have the emergency kit (again, didn't know what it was) and can't log on to my account to find it. I've tried in the app and online but can't get in. Is there any way to recover my account? Freaking out :( :(

1Password Version: 1Password 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11.4.1
Sync Type: Cloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@nataliejz: Just to clarify, you will only have an account if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership. That’s the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. So I wonder if you had been using 1Password without an account. That would explain why you don't have those things.

Either way though, (un)fortunately AgileBits doesn't ever have either your Secret Key or Master Password, or access to your data, as that wouldn't be very secure at all. The Master Password is chosen by you, and the Secret Key is generated locally on your device. Neither is ever transmitted. We don't have access to your data can't recover either of these for you. You would be able to find your Secret Key in one of the following places though:

I hope you're able to find your Emergency Kit, or have another authorized device where you can view your Secret Key. Otherwise it will not be possible to login to your 1Password Account. But if you're part of a 1Password Family or Team, another Owner, Organizer, or Admin can help you recover your account, so you can create a new Secret Key and Master Password:

https://support.1password.com/recovery/#begin-recovery

If, however, you were using the standalone 1Password app, without an account, if you don't have your data stored anywhere else, you will need to start over. There just isn't any way around that. But if you'll let me know what you have to work with, I'll be happy to help walk you through things.

Did you backup your 1Password data at some point?

https://support.1password.com/backups/?ios#you-can-also-create-and-restore-backups-of-local-vaults

Did you copy it to other devices, or sync it somewhere?

https://support.1password.com/sync-options/

Let me know and we'll go from there.

• nataliejz
    nataliejz
    Community Member

@brenty Thank you for your response! Unfortunately, I don't have an Emergency Kit. And I tried looking for a backup of the data or a sync and couldn't find it on my computer. I think what happened was I just downloaded the app and didn't realize I needed to do those things to back it up. Is there any way you can help me recover my account in a different way? I appreciate it, Natalie

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2018

@nataliejz: We never have access to you data and it can only be decrypted using your account credentials. You were the only person who ever had them. If you do not have those now, and you've exhausted all of the other options I listed above, it will not be possible to "recover" your account. Sorry. :(

• nataliejz
    nataliejz
    Community Member

How do I prevent this from happening again? I created an account, still know my login and password, but didn't back it up in any other way. Is it a matter of having an emergency kit and secret key this time? Very frustrating to lose all this information.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@nataliejz: Absolutely! Be sure to save a copy of your Emergency Kit in a secure location like a safe deposit box. That way you'll always have a way to access your account even if all of your devices are lost, stolen, or destroyed. :blush:

This discussion has been closed.