corp environment with proxy.pac: 1password 7 re-asks for my proxy credentials on every startup

Options

See title, we're behind a Symantec Bluecoat Proxy, which is configured with a proxy.pac file.
On every startup of 1password 7, we're being queried on our username/password. It is also unfortunately not possible to specify the username/PW manually in F9->advanced->proxy. It seems this dialog is either "fill-in everything" or nothing. I did try filling in the proxy info using DNS, but I read on the forum that this is not possible. I could look up an IP for the DNS name but there are multiple load balanced machines, so that would not really be a good solution anyways.

How do I make the credentials stick?

Let me know if you need me to generate the diagnostics file. We'd need this queried and filled in order to go ahead and switch from trial to business.

1Password Version: 7.2.581
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 8.1
Sync Type: 1password

Comments

• fhofmann
    fhofmann
    Community Member
    Options

oh and since this is usually being asked: yes I can log in to xyz.1password.com with my browser and change/update items in my vaults just fine.

• Hi @fhofmann,

Thanks for reaching out to us!

As you are aware, the proxy fields in Settings are all or nothing. 1Password currently does not support proxies via DNS, but it is something we're working on to bring very soon. If you can send us a diagnostic report that'll be great so we can review any errors you may be receiving.

Please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at support+windows@1Password.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

Thanks a bunch!

• fhofmann
    fhofmann
    Community Member
    Options

Neil, I just sent the diagnostic report via email.

Do I understand this correctly: it is currently the correct/expected behaviour that I'm being asked for my credentials on every startup as long as I don't manually specify everything in the proxy dialog?

• MikeT
    edited October 2018
    Options

Hi @fhofmann,

It is not correct behavior, which is why we need to see your diagnostics report. It may tell us that 1Password can't find your credentials or it tried it but failed for a reason. When either happens, it'll prompt the dialog once more.

• Hi @fhofmann,

We received your email, I'll be in touch shortly.

• FalconSMG
    FalconSMG
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue-should i start a new thread? Is there a solution?

• Hi @FalconSMG,

Thanks for writing in, no need to create a separate thread. Please email us your diagnostics report, so we can investigate it; use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@1Password.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• fhofmann
    fhofmann
    Community Member
    Options

What's the status on this?

From what I can gather using the current build the system correctly saves my proxy information, but it does not handle Network switches away and back onto the "proxy.pac"-ified location well. I periodically get queried for my credentials anyways.

• Hi @fhofmann,

There are changes coming for 1Password 7.4 that should be able to work better with more proxies and in theory, it should be able to quickly reconfigure proxy data on every sync attempt. However, we'll need people with proxies to test it to see if we're on the right track as we're limited to certain proxies we can set up on our own.

Would you be willing to help us beta test 1Password 7.4 with your setup?

• fhofmann
    fhofmann
    Community Member
    Options

yes I am willing. I have tried a beta build from neal before.

• Awesome, we'll get in touch with you as soon as we're ready.

• broll00
    broll00
    Community Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

I'm having a similar issue.
    I'm being asked to update the proxy everyday also. My situation is a little different though.
    I've run into the DNS not working issue also (thought I feel certain it worked on earlier versions) and so I put in my proxy by IP address.
    Then when I go in the next day when it reports proxy issues the address has reverted to DNS.
    It seems to me like one of two things is happening:
    1. The application has cached the DNS proxy address somewhere and is not updating that cache when I save it.
    2. The application is receiving the proxy anew every day from the my company's auto proxy script which uses DNS and not IP.

I hope 7.4 will also fix this behavior, it's really frustrating.

Edit: I noticed this morning that the DNS proxy address was different than normal. My companies auto-proxy has different proxy's based on certain scenarios, so this would seem to indicate it's not a cache but re-pulling from the proxy script.

• Hi @broll00,

Thanks for writing in, would you be willing to test our 1Password 7.4 private builds when it is ready?

We have restored full DNS support in 1Password 7.4 as well in addition to being able to reconfigure the proxy data on every sync attempt. So, you'd be able to help us confirm if it is working properly with your setup.

• broll00
    broll00
    Community Member
    Options

Sure.

• Great, thanks!

• AOS
    AOS
    Community Member
    Options

I'll would also like to try on my corporate environment. It's getting a bit tiresome having to reopen 1p severals time per day :(

• I gave this thread a quick skim and didn't see this recommended earlier, @AOS, so I'll first point out that 1Password X might be a better fit for you, if you have a 1Password membership:

https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/

It lives in your browser, so the networking environment it has to deal with is less complicated making it often play nicer with more restrictive networks or specialized security tools. This is still something we're working on for the desktop app, but in the meantime 1Password X may save you some stress. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.