Force language of macOS app to English

Dennisvz
Dennisvz
Community Member

I've got my macOS copy set up in my native tongue (Dutch). However, I prefer highly my applications in English. I cannot find an option in 1Password for macOS to achieve this.

Could you explain how I can accomplish this? I know the application changes to English when I change macOS region/language settings to English, but that's quite the opposite of what I want.

So macOS in Dutch, 1Password on macOS in English.

Thank you.

1Password Version: 7.2.1 (70201002)
Extension Version: 7.2.1
OS Version: 10.14.1 beta (18B57c)
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Dennisvz - currently, our localization follows whatever is set by the user in System Preferences. I don't know of any plans to change that, but I'll certainly mention your request to our developers.

• Dennisvz
    Dennisvz
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

You mean this isn't possible? In the iOS app it is, why not on the macOS? Seems inconsistent.

Ah well, doesn't matter. I've found a solution myself:

defaults write $(mdls -name kMDItemCFBundleIdentifier -raw /Applications/1Password\ 7.app) AppleLanguages '("en-US")'

See https://apple.stackexchange.com/a/250

Really strange why this isn't consistently implemented throughout the Apple platforms and this kind of clunky workaround is needed...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Dennisvz - yep, that will definitely do it. And I don't disagree that it's somewhat inconsistent to have this available in 1Password for iOS but not in 1Password for Mac. I'll certainly pass along your request and we'll see if we can get a more consistent experience across platforms. Thanks for mentioning it, and let us know if you have any problems with your setup.

This discussion has been closed.