Masterpassword issues

Options
Mark_EF
Mark_EF
Community Member

I'm having issues loggin into my 1password on my mac. Says password is incorrect. The same password works on my iphone and on the web base version of 1password. Im running 7.2 version on the mac. I did notice that the secret key on the computer is different from both phone and web version. I have deleted and reinstalled. Any ideas on how I can resolve this?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @Mark_EF! I'm sorry for the trouble. I can't be certain from just your description, but it sounds very much as if you might either have a local Primary vault on some of your devices (which has a different Master Password), or you might have created more than one 1password.com account, and be signed into different accounts on different devices.

I did notice that the secret key on the computer is different from both phone and web version.

To be clear: you have two different Secret Keys? (note: do NOT post your Secret Keys here or anywhere else; I'm just asking whether it's true that you have more than one).

• Mark_EF
    Mark_EF
    Community Member
    Options

That is correct. The secret key on the computer is different from that of the phone, but its the same email address.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MarkEF -- Thanks for the clarification. If that's the case, only one of two things is possible: you regenerated your Secret Key at some point (or were put through account recovery by an administrator), OR you have two accounts.

If you are certain you have only the one account, and you think the data in 1Password for Mac is (or should be) the same as the data elsewhere, then you can use these instructions to start over in 1Password for Mac. Do NOT do so if you've got other standalone vaults or you think this might be a different account that has data that's not already synced elsewhere. But if you're certain it should be the same everywhere, you can start over and sign in using the 1password.com credentials you know are working on your other devices (both Master Password and Secret Key).

• Mark_EF
    Mark_EF
    Community Member
    Options

The first is true. Account recovery was started for my account. I received the instructions via email and was able to get in on my phone and the web version of 1password. The 1password app on the MacBook however didn't accept the new password I created.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Mark_EF - did you try your previous Master Password on your Mac? If you didn't, try it. If you can't because you forgot it and that's the reason you needed to have your account recovered, then any data behind that original Master Password you can't remember will be lost. Use my above instructions (at the link) to Start Over in 1Password for Mac, and sign into your account using the new Secret Key and Master Password.

• Mark_EF
    Mark_EF
    Community Member
    Options

Ok thank you. I'll return with final outcome shortly.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Mark_EF - sounds good. :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.