Sync and Backup on 1Password 7

First of all, I want to say I really like the new 1Password 7 on Windows! Tried member subscription before but I didn't like the idea of only having to use browser with Internet to access my passwords and the old version on Windows didn't make me feel good as the website. But it changes now, so thank you so much!

With the subscription and the app on Windows, I have few questions to ask:

1. I'm getting used to the idea of syncing data through server but as I know so far, 1Password does not give an option to create a (secure of course) local backup on my computer. So could you guys please bring that feature in soon? I know your server cant (unlikely...) go down but if that happens, I need a backup solution to come back totally with my data (I know, I always consider the worst cases every time :blush: )

2. If I go with subscription, my data will be synced through your server. But is there any options for me to sync my data to another server (Dropbox maybe) at the same time? (again for backup solution)

3. I can access my data even without internet connection, so that means there is a copy of my data on the device I'm using, right? So can you tell me where it is (the folder I mean) on Windows and can I use it (manually) as a backup if I move to another computer and cant access the internet at that moment?

4. I know even if my subscription is expired, my data is still there on your server for me to access. But, just in case, if I couldn't renew my subscription on time (not enough money in my card, for example), how long would I access to my data again before they disappeared forever?

5. Just another thing, I just discovered the 1Password X but got confused with the add-on on my Firefox browser. So which people will the 1Password X work perfectly for?

Thanks for reading. You guys are doing a great job anyway!!! :chuffed:

1Password Version: 7.2.581
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @DanielNG,

Thanks for the kind feedback!

I'm getting used to the idea of syncing data through server but as I know so far, 1Password does not give an option to create a (secure of course) local backup on my computer. So could you guys please bring that feature in soon? I know your server cant (unlikely...) go down but if that happens, I need a backup solution to come back totally with my data (I know, I always consider the worst cases every time :blush: )

Just to be clear, your 1Password data is not being streamed from our server, your entire database with the exception of the attachments stored in Documents are downloaded locally first. You won't need Internet access to keep using 1Password at all, you'd need it to sync mostly.

You can find your local database at %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\data. You can back up the whole 1Password folder as a very last resort for now.

We do want to bring in an archival option to create a secure offline copy of the whole database at once including attachments but we don't have a timeframe on when it is coming.

If I go with subscription, my data will be synced through your server. But is there any options for me to sync my data to another server (Dropbox maybe) at the same time? (again for backup solution)

No, the data structure is different between 1Password accounts and the standalone vaults. The reason 1Password.com sync is so much faster and smooth is that we know exactly what to change in all connected 1Password apps. If you change one item, we tell all apps to pull that item. There is no integration like that with other sync services, they just sync whatever files are changed and push it to other apps.

You can create a new standalone vault in 1Password 7 via the 1Password menu and copy your 1Password account items to that vault to create a backup if you wish but we don't recommend it.

We do already back up your data on our side all the time and we support features like Item History where you can restore any revisions you make to your items up to a year (for Individual/Family accounts). You can learn more here: https://support.1password.com/item-history/

I can access my data even without internet connection, so that means there is a copy of my data on the device I'm using, right? So can you tell me where it is (the folder I mean) on Windows and can I use it (manually) as a backup if I move to another computer and cant access the internet at that moment?

Yep, I mentioned that above: %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password.

I know even if my subscription is expired, my data is still there on your server for me to access. But, just in case, if I couldn't renew my subscription on time (not enough money in my card, for example), how long would I access to my data again before they disappeared forever?

Your data will never disappear until you manually delete your account. Expired accounts are still usable, they're just read-only.

In other words, you can still use any 1Password apps to read your data, to export, backup, etc and when you need to edit, you can renew for a month or so as you need.

There is no time limit on frozen accounts.

Just another thing, I just discovered the 1Password X but got confused with the add-on on my Firefox browser. So which people will the 1Password X work perfectly for?

1Password X is built for platforms where we do not have native app but the said platform can run Firefox or Chrome. Chrome OS and Linux for an example, or a work Windows PC where you can't install any Windows apps but you are allowed to use Chrome extensions, in which case 1Password X is better.

We're really excited about 1Password X, it is getting more useful and powerful as we continue to develop it. It may actually be the default extension for everyone in time because we can integrate deeper with the browser to do more than what we can with the current integration with the desktop app.

I hope that helps.

• DanielNG
    DanielNG
    Community Member

You can find your local database at %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\data. You can back up the whole 1Password folder as a very last resort for now.

We do want to bring in an archival option to create a secure offline copy of the whole database at once including attachments but we don't have a timeframe on when it is coming.

Thanks a lot! This is what I need. Hope the feature is coming soon!

You can create a new standalone vault in 1Password 7 via the 1Password menu and copy your 1Password account items to that vault to create a backup if you wish but we don't recommend it.

I see after creating that standalone vault, it is located locally in my computer as a file, so why don't you guys recommend this as a local backup solution?

Besides, I was trying to create a vault in my account (not on computer) on 1Password 7 app on Windows but couldn't find an option (just found Manage option, it opened the website after I clicked to it). So I can't create an online vault in the app on Windows?

• MikeT
    edited October 2018

Hi @DanielNG,

I see after creating that standalone vault, it is located locally in my computer as a file, so why don't you guys recommend this as a local backup solution?

Because of the data structure differences that I mentioned before about the 1Password.com account and standalone vault, you can't restore standalone vaults to your 1Password account like that. You'll see more duplicates than updated items and you may cause sync conflicts.

1Password.com manages your data like a database but standalone vaults like OPVault are just files with items in it.

So I can't create an online vault in the app on Windows?

It hasn't been implemented yet in the Windows app, that's why you have to visit your 1Password website for now. In the macOS/iOS version, we actually take you to the same site via in-app webview model.

• DanielNG
    DanielNG
    Community Member

I understand now. Maybe I will go with the folder you mentioned before for now. I don't intend to create many online vaults either but it will be nicer if I can do it in the app.

Anyway, HUGE thanks for you @MikeT :)

• You're welcome!

This discussion has been closed.