Password autofill request

Options

So I was on a password modification page that does not allow me to copy and paste my password into the fields. Therefore I had to use the autofill feature. Here is the problem the autofill feature is pre filling all three password fields (as shown in the attachment). Since the first field is the current password I am forced to type the password in, and I wanted to know if there is a way to only fill the selected text box rather than the entire set. Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @squash,

When you say all three fields are filling is that when filling with a Login item or the Password Generator?

The Password Generator does use a very particular filling strategy which is to fill any empty password fields on the page. It's a very simple approach but effective when it comes to the scenarios where you would likely use it. So if the current password field is first set you should find it will only fill the other two fields.

What I'm less certain of is what field the filling logic would pick in that scenario when filling with a Login item. That I would be interested to learn.

• squash
    squash
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables

I see what you mean. Following this order solves my issue.

1. Populate the current password by clicking on fill (this will populate all the fields)
    2. Empty out the new and retype password fields, and use fill to populate the 2 remaining fields.

Thank you very much for your help.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @squash,

Ah, so filling with a Login item was filling all three fields as well? That's one way to ensure we fill the correct field I suppose but it's hard not to see the potential for improvement there. At least there's a way to use 1Password and avoid their odd insistence that you can't use copy and paste. I really wish we'd see an end to these silly security theatre designs.

Do let us know if you come across any other weird sites.

• squash
    squash
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables
    Thanks for all your help.
    I also found out that most of my problems were arising due to password limitations on their side (no symbols, no upper case letters) and inadequate validation text.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @squash,

I've had my own horror stories with sites like that in the past and so I fully sympathise as it can drive you to distraction having to try and piece together what is and isn't allowed through trial and error. If we can be of any further assistance please do let us know.

This discussion has been closed.