1Password Extension "Couldn't connect to 1password"

ZachWorkman
ZachWorkman
Community Member

Hello,

To preface this, it looks like this has been posted before with various different versions. I haven't found any solution in the forums here that has fixed the issue for me with the most current versions, so I am posting to see if there is a work around or fix for this version.

After a fresh install of Mac OS High Sierra (10.13.6) and installing 1password 7 (7.2.1) and the browser extension (4.7.3.90), I am able to get logged into the desktop app and the menu bar icon works for searching through 1password to find things. The issue arises when I try to get the 1Password browser extension installed, I will go to install it from the chrome web store, and the 1Password website and I keep getting the same issue.

When clicking on the 1Password browser extension in chrome, I get the spinning blue lock while it says "Looking for the 1password app". After a few seconds it errors out turning to a red lock icon and saying "Couldn't connect to 1password".

What I have tried

• Uninstalling and reinstalling the 1Password desktop app
  • Removing and re-adding the 1Password chrome browser extension
  • Rebooting the machine after reinstalling both the desktop app and browser extension
  • removing the NativeMessagingHosts directory in Application Support as per this forum post.

Let me know what other info you need, or if you are also experiencing this issue. Upwards of 10 machines in our workplace are experiencing this issue after a fresh MacOS 10.13.x install so it is not just a single device. In fact, as far as I can tell, it is happening with all new 1password installs in our workplace.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Zach S

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: N/A

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ZachWorkman - I'm sorry for the trouble! If you have ten-ish users all experiencing the same problem, this sounds very much like something at either the network level or that you install as a matter of policy onto individual users' devices which may be interfering with 1Password. I'm not certain just from your description what that might be just yet, but I can tell you we've not had a rash of these issues, which is what leads me to believe it's something to your specific work setup. Do you have any network filters, A/V software, or other blockers (such as LittleSnitch, etc) installed, either at the user or the network level? Let's start there.

• armilam
    armilam
    Community Member

I am also experiencing this issue. I just bought a new Macbook. The first things I did were:

1. Install Chrome
    2. Install 1Password
    3. Install the 1Password Chrome extension

After installing the extension, I am also getting the red lock icon with the message "Couldn't connect to 1Password". I definitely have it running.

I have tried (similar to what Zach did):

• Uninstalling and re-installing 1Password on the Mac
    • Installing from the Agilebits website
    • Installing from the Apple App Store (after uninstalling the direct-download version)
    • Removing and re-installing the Chrome extension
    • Quitting and re-opening Chrome
    • Rebooting the computer

1Password is not installed on my machine as part of a work policy. I have it for personal use.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@armilam - I'm sorry for the trouble! However, without some additional information, I'll just be guessing about what the problem might be. Can you tell us:

1. The specific version of 1Password you have installed
    2. The specific version of macOS you're running
    3. The specific version of 1Password extension you're installing in your browser
    4. How you sync your data (Dropbox, 1Password account, iCloud, etc)

Thanks in advance.

• armilam
    armilam
    Community Member

Yeah! Good call. Let me start with this though:

Yesterday, I decided to wait for your response before continuing to debug, so I continued working. At the end of the day, I shut down the computer. This morning, I turned it on and tried the extension with fingers crossed, and now it works!

Between my last message and now, here's what I remember that happened.

• I worked in Chrome a bunch
    • Some System updates occurred (this might be the reason things started working, but I can't be sure)
    • I shut down the computer
    • The next morning, I booted the computer
    • I opened Chrome and tried the 1P extension, and it worked

Even so, here are the versions you asked for, in case it can be helpful for future investigations. Perhaps the version of my OS before the installed updates were the issue.

And here are the updates that occurred yesterday, in case that information is helpful:

Again, the problem solved itself for me, so thank you. But I hope this information is helpful in case anybody else mentions this problem in the future!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@armilam - Thanks for the update. That's excellent news! I’d like to be able to say I’m glad I could help you get things squared away, but if the problem righted itself, I can’t hardly claim any credit for it. :-) However, around here, we’ve learned to call a win a win whether we had a hand in it or not. In this specific case, I'm guessing the issue was that Chrome had auto-updated in the background, which made the code signature 1Password had saved to verify the browser different from what was installed after the update. A restart of Chrome and of 1Password will fix that right up, which is what sounds like what occurred.

Anyway, keep an eye on things and please let us know if the problem recurs or if there's anything further we can do to assist you. Otherwise, have a great weekend, and thanks for being a 1Password user!

This discussion has been closed.