Multiple browser extensions?

Options
rxguy
rxguy
Community Member

Hello,

I just updated from standalone 1Password v6 to subscription based 1Password 7. I also noticed that there are now TWO extensions available for Google Chrome.

What's the difference between the original 1Password browser extension and the new 1Password X Manager extension? Do I need them both?

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @rxguy

1Password X requires a 1Password membership and does not require the main 1Password application (e.x. 1Password for Mac). It communicates with 1Password.com directly. It can be very handy especially for folks in environments where they cannot install the 1Password app but they can install extensions in Chrome such as school or work environments, as well as on ChromeOS.

If you're using a 1Password membership it wouldn't hurt to give 1Password X a try if you're curious. You do not need both. It does have some nice features not currently available in the main 1Password extension. That said, it will behave a little differently than you're used to when it comes to unlocking. Unlocking 1Password for Mac will not unlock 1Password X nor vice versa. They unlock independently.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• lisalacroix11
    lisalacroix11
    Community Member
    Options

I use a Mac and every day I work in three browsers at the same time: Safari, Firefox and Chrome. I get frustrated with typing my master password in each browser many times a day. Am I better off just using 1Password for Mac instead of 1Password X or am I missing something that makes this easier?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lisalacroix11,

We do wish to add some integration between 1Password X and the native client if it is present but for the moment, if you find it annoying that each copy of 1Password X is independent and requires you to unlock then the companion extension may be the better option for now. As it is only a dumb bridge between the browser and 1Password things like the unlocked state are completely controlled by the application and if 1Password for Mac is unlocked then its unlocked everywhere.

If you have further questions or I haven't covered something well enough please let me know :smile:

This discussion has been closed.