To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

License versus Membership

Options
Dr. Marantz
Dr. Marantz
Community Member

I don’t understand how my new Account (now a Trial Account) intersects with my prior license membership. Previously I purchased 3 Apps for 1Password via the Apple App Store — one for MacOS, one for iPhone and one for iPad. My wife also has the 3 Apps. I upgraded the MacOS version 7.

Now I have to pay $3.99 per month for my new Account (or less annually). Also when I added the new Account I now have Duplicates in tow Vaults of all my passwords — one Vault called "iCloud" where I think the existing licensed Apps reside and another called "Personal" where I think my new (Trial) Account. They are both the same as to Passwords.

What should I do about all of this? I’m totally confused -- as are many others on this Forum.

Should I delete the old "iCloud" Vault and then do the Apps still work and I’m stuck with a website based 1Password via my new "Personal" Vault?

There’s really no guidance about all of this and I’m surprised I have to deal with this via Support Forums. Your documentation and website leave a lot to be desired.

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: 7.2.1
OS Version: MacOS Mojave 10.14
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2018
    Options

Hi @Dr. Marantz

I’d be happy to help address these questions.

I don’t understand how my new Account (now a Trial Account) intersects with my prior license membership. Previously I purchased 3 Apps for 1Password via the Apple App Store — one for MacOS, one for iPhone and one for iPad. My wife also has the 3 Apps. I upgraded the MacOS version 7.

The short answer is that they don’t intersect. Licenses and membership are two entirely different ways of paying for and using 1Password. The only “intersection,” if you would call it that, is that the 1Password apps themselves are the same whether you are using a membership or license(s), but the apps will function differently depending (i.e. there isn’t a different download for membership vs license).

Now I have to pay $3.99 per month for my new Account (or less annually). Also when I added the new Account I now have Duplicates in tow Vaults of all my passwords — one Vault called "iCloud" where I think the existing licensed Apps reside and another called "Personal" where I think my new (Trial) Account. They are both the same as to Passwords.

Personal is the vault to use moving foward as that one is part of your membership.

Should I delete the old "iCloud" Vault and then do the Apps still work and I’m stuck with a website based 1Password via my new "Personal" Vault?

I’m not sure “stuck” is the word I’d use, but you do want to delete the old vaultt. The apps will still work. The Personal vault is the one to use.

There’s really no guidance about all of this and I’m surprised I have to deal with this via Support Forums. Your documentation and website leave a lot to be desired.

Did you follow this guide when migrating?

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

One of the instructions is to delete the Primary vault. That should help with the duplicates. If you’ve already got all of your data in your Personal vault you can skip all of the other instructions except for the bit about deleting the Primary vault, which you’ll want to do.

Thanks!

Ben

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

The membership is not exactly "website based". I'll leave it to AgileBits staff to give details, but essentially you are working locally, with syncing, backups, etc, through the web site. The important point is that 1PW itself will work fine without an internet connection (I suppose one is mostly using 1PW over the internet, but you might want to bring up passport details or the like even without internet), unlike web-based apps. It won't sync between devices, though, until you have an internet connection.

• Ben
    Options

Good catch @danco. I didn’t make the possible connection that Dr. Marantz might be thinking that 1Password membership required a constant connection to the internet. If that’s the case, hopefully that explanation helps.

Ben

• Dr. Marantz
    Dr. Marantz
    Community Member
    Options

"One of the instructions is to delete the Primary vault." I tried to DELETE my PRIMARY Vault and 1Password would not let me do that. The response is "Primary vault cannot be deleted." So I tried to EXCLUDE the Primary Vault and the Duplicates still appear.

• Dr. Marantz
    Dr. Marantz
    Community Member
    Options

Clarification to my previous comment. No more Duplicates since I excluded (rather than Deleted) the Primary Vault; however, now every 1Password Login has a Red Caution statement indicating that the Password is a "Reused Password" since it apparently is considering the duplicates logins in the excluded Primary Vault. What do I do to get this mess cleaned up?

• Dr. Marantz
    Dr. Marantz
    Community Member
    Options

I've been able to Delete the Primary Vault on my iPad and iPhone but not on my iMac which is running 1Password 7. So the Mac OS version is still an issue.

• Ben
    Options

@Dr. Marantz

Okay, great, thanks for the update. We should be able to get that sorted out pretty easily then. Please open 1Password for Mac and from the menu bar at the top of the screen select 1Password > Preferences. Navigate to the Advanced tab and uncheck the bottom option: Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts. This should delete the Primary vault. Please note that after doing so you'll need to unlock the 1Password for Mac app using the Master Password of your 1Password account (which should be the same one you're using on iOS).

Please let me know how that turns out.

Ben

• Meek
    Options

Hey @Dr. Marantz! In order to delete the Primary vault on your mac, go to 1Password > Preferences > Advanced and uncheck the option to Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts. That should get you all up and running!

• Dr. Marantz
    Dr. Marantz
    Community Member
    Options

That worked. All set. Thanks to both of you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Meek and Ben, you are most welcome! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

• Meek
    Options

Awesome, glad to hear that worked! If there is anything else we can help with, please let us know.

This discussion has been closed.