How to prevent Watchtower "duplicates" with categories?

Options
scifitechguy
scifitechguy
Community Member

I've been using Watchtower to clean up my keychain, and I'm puzzled by the "duplicate" flag, and wondering if I'm doing something wrong. Rather than carry around 20 cards, I use the memberships category in 1Password to store all my membership information. For many of these, I also have associated "logins" for those sites, so I have the same password stored in both items. It's a pain to keep the passwords in sync between these records, and Watchtower flags the duplicates. Is there a recommended way to store membership information that also has a login?

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: 7.2.1
OS Version: OS X 10.14
Sync Type: 1Password Families

Comments

• Ben
    Options

@scifitechguy

I'd recommend only storing the password on the Login item (since that is the only one 1Password can fill for you), and then using the Related Items section to link these items to each other.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• scifitechguy
    scifitechguy
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben. I’ve not used the link feature before. When I tried it, it appears that you must create the link in both directions, which is still a redundant action. Is there any way to have the link to a login also show up in the login item as a link back the membership? Or must you create independent links in both?

Rick

• Ben
    Options

You have to create the link in both directions (if you want to have that), but once linked the items will stay linked. Linking them is a one time action, versus having to update the password field on both each time you change the password.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.