Windows 10 - 1PasswordSetup Fails

I'm a new 1Password user and trying to install 1PasswordSetup-7.2.581.exe on a Windows 10 machine but the installation is failing. I click "Install" in the setup tool and then it just disappears with no error message, etc. Looking in the Application Event Log however I see the following errors:

Faulting application name: 1Password.exe, version: 7.2.581.0, time stamp: 0x5bb034fc
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.17134.165, time stamp: 0xfa43f4b2
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0010ddc2
Faulting process id: 0x3168
Faulting application start time: 0x01d46a09392d40ab
Faulting application path: C:\Users\\AppData\Local\1password\app\7\1Password.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 635552ee-8af3-4003-a839-01b7d0923865
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Application: 1Password.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException
at System.Runtime.InteropServices.ComTypes.IConnectionPoint.Advise(System.Object, Int32 ByRef)
at AgileBits.OnePassword.WorkspaceNetwork.AdviseForNetworkListManager()
at AgileBits.OnePassword.WorkspaceNetwork.RegisterEvents()
at AgileBits.OnePassword.WorkspaceNetwork+d__23.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(System.Threading.Tasks.Task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(System.Threading.Tasks.Task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.GetResult()
at AgileBits.OnePassword.WorkspaceData+<b__21_1>d.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore+<>c.b__6_0(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(System.Object)
at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.CallbackWrapper(System.Object)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Run()
at AgileBits.OnePassword.ThreadOnDispatcher+<>c__DisplayClass4_0.<.ctor>b__0()
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(System.Object)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @mtuttle007,

My apologies for the trouble you're experiencing. I'll need some more information from you to better assist. Please generate the full Application Event Log and email it to us at support+windows@1Password.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

Thanks!

• mtuttle007
    mtuttle007
    Community Member

Email has been sent. Thanks for your help.

• Thanks, @mtuttle007, we received your email and will be in touch.

• mtuttle007
    mtuttle007
    Community Member

I tried installing older versions from here:
    https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPW6

It eventually started working when I installed 1PasswordSetup-6.8.534.exe

All of the 7 versions wouldn't install on my Windows 10 machine. I'm assuming this is some sort of .NET issue on my end?

• @mtuttle007: It certainly could be, but full event logs would help to be sure. What you shared didn't immediately look 1Password-related, but Event Viewer errors aren't always the most helpful without context so knowing what other errors were logged around the same time helps get a complete picture. Could you share the support ID you received via auto-reply so I can take a peek there, if no one has already got back to you via e-mail? It'll look like [ABC-12345-678]. Post that here and I'd be happy to take a look if I don't find your e-mail sooner when I swap over to e-mail once I've got the forum sorted. :+1:

• mtuttle007
    mtuttle007
    Community Member

Support ID is: [#QZQ-15675-543]

I got an email back from Neil and provided some additional information and Event Logs. Thanks for your help on this.

• mtuttle007
    mtuttle007
    Community Member

I figured it out. No further action is necessary.

I determined that I had a Windows Update problem which I guess in turn was preventing 1Password 7 from launching?

To fix my issue I did the following:
    1. Determined that "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" wasn't running and failed to start. Found the following in Event Viewer which lead me to this issue: "The BITS service failed to start. Error 0x80070422."
    2. To fix this I had to start "Network List Service" first and then "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" would stay running properly

Once "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" was running properly I was able to open 1Password 7 correctly. Not sure how the two are related but it fixed my issue.

• Thanks for updating this thread with your information.

As per Neil in the ticket, we weren't able to reproduce this by turning both off but there may be something Windows is doing that is causing 1Password to crash. We'll keep investigating to see if there's something we can do on our side.

• mtuttle007
    mtuttle007
    Community Member

Neil mentioned in the email but I believe it only happens on a fresh install with both of those services disabled.

• @mtuttle007: I'm glad you sorted it out as I'd probably not have found that on my own and had to go crying to Mike. :wink: Thanks as well for the additional info about the fresh install. Windows does some whacky things at times, but I love it all the same and must admit I kind of enjoy the puzzles it hands us at times. Thanks again and I'm glad to hear everything is now working smoothly. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.