To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

I have a new laptop and I cannot remember my master password can I reset it?

Tasha
Tasha
Community Member

I signed up on my mac book and iPhone but used the finger print log in. I cannot remember the password and no longer have either the mac or iPhone and am trying to set up 1password on a new laptop. I didn't have many passwords saved so happy to start over but can't work out how. I have paid for a subscription.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I have a new laptop and I cannot remember my master password can I reset it?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Tasha: No. For your privacy and security, your Master Password is known only by you. No information about your Master Password is ever sent to us. We cannot reset it for you and you cannot change it without entering the old one. There is also no "back door" to access your data without the Master Password. Nor do we have any information about your Master Password we could use to help you find it. If there were, that would be a security hole that could be exploited to gain access to your secure information, even if we were the only ones who could exploit it.  This way, no one, not even someone at AgileBits, can read your secure data. However, please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again:

https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

Alternatively, if you're part of a 1Password Family or Team, another Owner, Organizer, or Admin can help you recover your account, so you can create a new Secret Key and Master Password:

https://support.1password.com/recovery/#begin-recovery

If that doesn't help though, you will need to either restore from a backup, sync from another device, or simply start over. You can try as many times as you want. You won’t be “locked out”, but you will not be able to access your data unless you can enter the required Master Password correctly. Please let me know how it turns out.

• Tasha
    Tasha
    Community Member

I need to start over - how do I do this?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Tasha: If you're using a 1Password.com membership, you can delete the account and setup a new one. In that case, shoot us an email at support@1password.com from your account's registered address and we can help you with that. If you've been using 1Password without an account, as a standalone app, you can reset the data on your device.

• Tasha
    Tasha
    Community Member

I set up on a device - either my Macbook or iPhone. Neither of which I have any longer. I have sent an email already.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Tasha: I'm not sure I understand which you're saying, but I'll follow up with you via email to get more details.

ref: IRC-24411-927

This discussion has been closed.