Logins sync between iOS and macOS fine, but not all logins sync to Windows and syncing unreliable

CMagnuson
CMagnuson
Community Member
edited October 2018 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I use 1Password on my Mac, iPhone, and Windows machine. Up through now, I've noticed that syncing information to 1Password on Windows is a remarkably unreliable action. Most of the time when I boot up Windows and open 1Password, I notice that its information is weeks out of date. For example, when I opened 1Password on Windows this afternoon the most recently updated information was from early September.

Normally with applications that sync to the cloud, I leave them open for several seconds after launch and they sync up to the correct state. However, that does not happen most of the time with 1Password for Windows. If the application doesn't sync right after it opens, it won't sync. Rather, I'll have to keep opening and closing the application until it decides it wants to sync. There does not appear to be a syncing button or drop-down menu option, so the only way to get 1Password to sync is to repeatedly quit the application and then relaunch it again. After quitting and relaunching several times just now, I was able to convince 1Password to sync correctly. Logins that I created on macOS just yesterday are now appearing in 1Password on Windows.

This is my first issue: Why doesn't 1Password immediately sync automatically when I open the application on Windows? Why do I have to repeatedly quit and relaunch the application to convince it to sync? Is there a way to manually force 1Password for Windows to sync?

However, this syncing issue goes deeper because upon looking for my Omni Sync Server login in 1Password for Windows, I find that the login does not exist in 1Password for Windows. If I open 1Password for iOS I can quickly find the login with no trouble, but in 1Password for Windows the login does not exist. I cannot find it through searching or browsing. What's especially odd is that this login was created in 2012 and last modified in 2016, so it is by no means a recently created login.

This is my second issue: If all of the changes and newly created data from yesterday are showing up in 1Password for Windows, why is my Omni Sync Server login not available? Is it possible to mark logins such that 1Password omits them from syncing between machines?

I am paying for a 1Password account and it appears that the syncing is being done through that account. I am currently using 1Password v7.2.581 for Windows, v7.2.1 for iOS, and v4.7.3.90 of the Chrome extension. I am running Windows 10 Pro version 1803. I apologize in advance if I have omitted any obviously needed information. Please ask for it and I'll follow up.

1Password Version: v7.2.581 for Windows, v7.2.1 for iOS
Extension Version: v4.7.3.90 of the Chrome extension
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro version 1803
Sync Type: 1Password account

Comments

• Hi @CMagnuson,

Thanks for writing in.

1Password on Windows starts its sync ten seconds after every unlock attempt, it will also establish a passive and persistent connection to our 1Password.com servers that will notify the app of every change, meaning it will update in real time. The delay is intentional to give 1Password a bit of breathing room to unlock, decrypt and download other content like Watchtower updates.

If there was no attempt to sync within an hour, 1Password will then check at every hour to make sure it didn't miss any updates by calling the server.

Why doesn't 1Password immediately sync automatically when I open the application on Windows?

It does and forces the sync at every hour if it sees no update within the hour. I suspect the issue is that 1Password thinks it is up to date due to a different bug that we're tracking down.

However, this syncing issue goes deeper because upon looking for my Omni Sync Server login in 1Password for Windows, I find that the login does not exist in 1Password for Windows.

I think I know what the problem is but I need your diagnostics report to confirm it. The bug we're tracking down is related to interrupting the "initial" sync at the first install and 1Password thought it was up to date when it wasn't. We will have this fixed in the next update by noting the interruption and force the app to re-download everything at the next app start.

Please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at support+windows@1Password.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

This discussion has been closed.