can't edit record after failed find: expected behavior?

Options

Not sure if this is a bug -- or a feature.

I forgot the voice mail code for my new Pixel 3 XL phone, so I searched in 1Password X (in Chrome) for "pixel". Didn't find what I was hoping to find. That's not the problem; the record probably isn't there. What I thought was odd was that 1Password X did find my very old login for the photo website "Pixpa". Okay, guess it's helpful to have 1PX find near-matches. Now here's the problem: This Pixpa record is very old and I wanted to delete it. So I clicked "Edit", thinking that would give me access to the trash/delete button. But clicking Edit didn't do anything. When I clicked into the search field and removed the last two letters from my original search term -- when I turned "pixel" into "pix" -- THEN the Edit button worked, opened the 1Password full app window in my browser, and allowed me to edit the record.

Perhaps the idea here is to prevent user from editing record that isn't exactly the one user meant to find. In theory that could be helpful. But it seems to me that, if the "Edit" button is going to appear, then clicking on it ought to have an effect.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.12.2
OS Version: Windows X Pro v1803
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Hey @williamporter! Thanks for reaching out to us about this. Clicking the Edit button should always work when viewing an item's details unless you don't have the necessary permissions, in which case the button is disabled. With that being the case, I'm not exactly sure why you weren't able to edit your Pixpa entry. Are you able to consistently reproduce this behavior, by any chance?

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2019
    Options

I was actually able to reproduce this issue. It seems that as you search and filter the list, the detail view is updated with the selection from the list. So, if you have some Twitter Logins and search for twitter.com it will filter your items down to only those that match and the first one is automatically selected. Here's an example. If I search for my Twitter account like this, I get down to one item:

If I then type another character so that the item no longer matches, I get this result:

When I am in the second state, if I click the Edit button, it has no effect. I've opened an issue to look into this further and hopefully we'll have it solved soon.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ 1Password
    Fort Worth, TX

ref: x/b5x#668

This discussion has been closed.