In case of emergency (ICE) passwords

Options

I am in the management team of a small company. What we would like is that if something happens to me, my colleagues have access to my passwords. But only when something happens to me, I don't just want to share my master password with them and that they can use it at any moment without me even knowing they are using it. I am thinking about the following possibilities:

• Make a password ICE for a certain colleague. If they "open the box" to reveal the password, I get an e-mail.
  • Make a password ICE for a certain colleague. If they try to read it, I first get an e-mail with a message that someone attempts to open my 1Password. If I respond within let's say 3 days that they're not allowed, they simply don't get access. If I don't respond within 3 days (because something has happened to me), that colleague has access to my master passwords or that particular password and/or vault.

I don't know the exact details of the feature that I'm looking for, but I hope I made clear what kind of feature I am looking for. Does this exist in 1Password? If not, would this be a good feature to add?

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Mojave 10.14
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• isha_ag
    isha_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@erwinrossen Thank you for providing your use case! I will pass on the feedback to the development team. We do not have a way of providing access to your account to someone else (in the event of an emergency or otherwise). However, I do have an alternate suggestion for you. In case of an emergency where you are unreachable, your colleagues/team can:

1. Gain access to your email address (most email providers have provisions for this)
    2. An 1Password account admin can begin recovery on your account
    3. Complete recovery using the taken over email address
  • erwinrossen
    erwinrossen
    Community Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion, this will do for now. It's still a good feature to have in 1Password, because now if they take over my e-mail, they can see all my passwords, instead of me having control over it in 1Password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion, this will do for now. It's still a good feature to have in 1Password,

@erwinrossen: The problem of someone other than you (e.g. us) being able to grant someone else access to your data is that could be misused. It's not a capability we ever want. Recovery is a good option because 1) it exists and 2) it could only be initiated by an admin on your team, not by 1Password staff.

because now if they take over my e-mail, they can see all my passwords, instead of me having control over it in 1Password.

I don't see how that would be any different regardless of how it's accomplished, either in 1Password, through recovery, or you giving them your credentials yourself. In all of those cases, they would have access to everything in your account.

This discussion has been closed.