Downgrading to version 6

robert7132
robert7132
Community Member

I am trying to downgrade to version 6 from a trial of version 7. I followed the directions to completely quit version 7 and tired to trash the app, but got two different errors at different times, either that the app was in use, or that extensions were still active. So, can't trash version 7.

I have been a user since version 3, but am on the verge of finding another password keeper, for a number of reasons.

First, no folders in version 7, and I wish there had been something of a warning about this before I upgraded. I have a large number of clients and keep passwords sorted in folders by client, and sorting by tags simply doesn't work. This wrecked my workflow from the time I upgraded, and is a deal breaker for me.

I find the interface to be visually cluttered as well, and it doesn't help that it warns me of duplicates that are really duplicates of single records in both my original vault from version 6 that I am keeping in Dropbox, and the Version 7 vault the new app created.

I finally talked my wife into using a password keeper for her business, and they were on the verge of adopting 1Password, but when her workers tried it, they found it to be confusing and overwhelming. When I gave some of the workers the 1Password code, it allowed them to access my private vault and my company's as well as the company vault... it was not clear how to separate these.

And, with everything else, this downgrade process has now taken too much time out of my day. I feel like I am trapped into upgrading to version 7... or moving to another password keeper. As a longtime 1Password user, I am very disappointed in this upgrade.

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• robert7132
    robert7132
    Community Member

So, I should be clearer (since it wasn't obvious there was a question in there): How can I trash version 7?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@robert7132 - I'm sorry for the trouble!

I followed the directions to completely quit version 7 and tired to trash the app, but got two different errors at different times, either that the app was in use, or that extensions were still active. So, can't trash version 7.

If you followed the instructions to fully quit 1Password 7 for Mac prior to attempting to remove it, you would not have gotten the error that the app was in use, because it wouldn't have been. You might very well have gotten the extensions warning, because in version 7, the Safari extension is actually part of the app, so you can't delete it if Safari is running. To answer your question, do this:

1. Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu)
    2. Quit Safari and any other running browsers (just to be safe).
    3. Delete 1Password 7 for Mac. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to the Trash.

My real question to you, however, is: if you've been with us that long, why are you trying to go back to a version that's now out of development and in legacy mode? If you had trouble getting version 7 up and running satisfactorily, reverting to a legacy version isn't any kind of long-term solution we can recommend...but I'd be more than happy to help you solve any issues.

• funtex
    funtex
    Community Member

My real question to you, however, is: if you've been with us that long, why are you trying to go back to a version that's now out of development and in legacy mode? If you had trouble getting version 7 up and running satisfactorily, reverting to a legacy version isn't any kind of long-term solution we can recommend...but I'd be more than happy to help you solve any issues.

Hi @robert7132 : I came looking for the uninstall 7 and reinstall 6 portion of this as I had asked via email and received a similar reply (an ad). I may have purchased the first Version, but have Family licenses since Version 2, and the idea was to support the development, and have lifetime licenses -- not be questioned: why go back to a version that's now out of development and in legacy mode? and told: it isn't any kind of long-term solution we can recommend.

I can understand changing to a new model for new clients, but some of us are "legacy clients", and helped AgileBits grow the product, made suggestions, reported bugs, etc., etc.. I paid for Family licenses in 2013, and my offer was 50% off for the first year!! While a huge supporter, who turned countless business colleagues, friends and family onto this once unique product, I now feel the same loyalty to you as you do to me -- ZERO. So, to you, Mr Allen (who replied to my email), and the rest of the bunch, keep sending your snide remarks and silly offers to loyal customers, and watch as we move to other platforms...

In the meantime, ...I know you'd be more than happy to help you solve any issues. Happy selling!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2018

@funtex

So, to you, Mr Allen (who replied to my email), and the rest of the bunch, keep sending your snide remarks and silly offers to loyal customers, and watch as we move to other platforms...

50% off is a "silly offer?" Seriously? Makes me wonder what you'd consider fair.

Since you're OK with airing the fact that you've been corresponding via email and also the name of the colleague here with whom you've been communicating, let's explore that a little more. You wrote in via email last Friday at 11pm EDT and said:

I feel like the company is attempting to horseshoe me into signing up for a monthly service even though I have owned Family service contracts for my Mac's and licenses for my iOS devices since you began selling it! Since they pushed iP 7 onto me for download.

There are two ways to download and install 1Password 7 for Mac -- the Mac App Store and via direct download from our downloads page. Neither one is currently offered as an in-app update within version 6, which means it must be actively sought out by anyone who installs it. If you (or anyone else) was using version 6, either from us or from the Mac App Store, you would have had to know about, find, and then intentionally download and install version 7 -- which is a full version upgrade. So no, it was not "pushed onto you for download."

You included with your email a receipt of your purchases from us, which included licenses for version 2 of 1Password for Mac, purchased at a discount in 2007 - eleven years ago, and version 3, purchased in January of 2010, well over eight years ago. Nothing more recent than that -- at least, not under the email address you provided. You then sought out, downloaded and installed a full-version upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac, so I guess my question to you would be: given that your most-recent purchase appears to have been less than $40, eight years ago, for a license that authorized up to five people...are you truly surprised that a product four versions later than the most-recent one for which you own a license, requires a new purchase? If 50% off a year of 1Password Families (about $30) is a "silly offer," what do you think would be a fair price for it at this point? I'm genuinely curious.

A lot's changed in 1Password since your license for version 3, four versions and eight years ago. For one thing, yep, we developed the 1password.com service, which is definitely the most robust and easiest way to use 1Password for the vast majority of users. However, for those who are comfortable with maintaining individual licenses and advanced 3rd party sync -- such as longer-term users like yourself -- we do still sell standalone licenses for version 7. Right now, you can pick one up from within the 1Password 7 purchase options screen for the launch special pricing of $49.99, over 23% off the full retail price of $64.99. Here's that purchase options screen. Just choose the "Need a license? We have those, too" option:

If you still have family members who want to use 1Password, they'll need their own licenses, as standalone licenses for 1Password 7 for Mac are sold per-platform and per-person (meaning: each person needs his or her own). Our affordable offering aimed at families is now 1Password Families, which you're also welcome to if you wish. That's what Mr. Allen recommended to you, probably because he knew that $4.99/mo for five people, total, would be a lot less than four or five individual purchases of $49.99. However, we offer both, so the choice is yours! :) Let us know if you have any questions.

• funtex
    funtex
    Community Member

@robert7132
    Sorry if I offended you, Mr Allen or anyone. 1P has always included free upgrades, so I probably assumed that when it showed up as an upgrade or in extensions or wherever, that it was free to license owners but a fee to new subscribers. The thing is.. you’re right. I’m truly surprised at so many things now. I no longer have a family, nor a nice corporate job, nor much of anything.. I do get frustrated at times, but I shouldn’t, and I apologize. Version 6 is fine for me. Again, sorry if I offended.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@funtex: Likewise, I'm really sorry for the confusion. No offense taken, and certainly I understand being frustrated when expectations diverge from reality. To put things in perspective, while we have occasionally had some upgrades that were free, the terms of a license purchase have always been that it entitles you to use that version (e.g. 6.0) and any minor updates (e.g. 6.8.9). However, when we did give away a free upgrade (or two -- e.g. version 4-5-6) I do believe that we inadvertently created an expectation that upgrades would always be free. That's on us. And honestly, we enjoyed giving away some free upgrades. Unfortunately it isn't sustainable for us to continue working on 1Password indefinitely for a one-time license fee, so we've charged for version 7 now, and I expect that if and when we create a version 8 that will be a paid upgrade too. I really appreciate your honesty, you supporting us in the past, and frankly if you're satisfied with 1Password 6 it makes me feel good that something we made back in 2016 is still serving you well. I wish all of my tech lasted so long! Certainly it's inevitable that you'll run into compatibility issues down the road as things change with the browsers and OS, but until then I'm glad that 1Password 6 has found a solid place in your workflow. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.