Can I go back to having the iPassword Mini icon drop down a menu instead of a window?

ddrucker
ddrucker
Community Member

This new version of 1Password Mini shows a big window every time I click on the icon, both in the menu bar or in the browser window area. I've searched for some sort of setting that might say something like 'use old UI (menu) instead of new UI' but don't see anything. The new window is not an improvement. It is far too big, hard to understand and it's not clear how to get rid of it - if it is a window (it has no close box, cancel button, or anything else that would help you know where to click to get rid of it).

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 7.2.1
OS Version: OSX 10.14 (Mojave)
Sync Type: Cloud
Referrer: forum-search:can we go back to using 1Password mini as a menu?

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @ddrucker! Indeed, the mini has changed in 1Password 7 for Mac -- there's no setting to use features from previous versions, for the mini or any other legacy feature. However, it's quite easy to dismiss on a per-use basis. If you inadvertently call the mini, clicking literally anywhere else on your screen OR using the escape key on your keyboard will dismiss it. Hope that helps! :)

• ddrucker
    ddrucker
    Community Member
    edited November 2018

Hello Lars and thanks for the welcome.

I don't want to sound arrogant, but I think there are many usability issues in this new version of 1Password.

Yes, clicking anywhere or using the escape key to dismiss the window is possible, but it isn't clear at all that you can do that. Even if it is redundant, some sort of close box in the upper left corner of the window would erase that moment of confusion, especially when the window is in the midst of a lot of other windows.

The big gear icon in the search field is not just setting for search but is also the stand-in for a real menu and it looks disabled because it's such a light shade of grey.

The 'show' for tags always says the word 'show' whether the tags are showing or not. That's very confusing. (If you want the user to be able to expand, hide or show areas in a list, the Mac OSX Finder's side-panel has a pretty good standard that's worth following; just show the title of the section if it's contents are hidden, mouseover for show or hide).

The little 'magic wand' icon next to the words 'open and fill' is unnecessary because it does the same thing clicking on the line, but the 'chevron' for drilling down on the entry is really hard to hit (one usually ends up launching the site and logging in, whether you want to or not!). In fact, in the 'Favorites' section, if you click below the list, it appears to launch the first in the list, whether you clicked on it or not - that's plainly a mistake!

Again, at the risk of sounding arrogant, I work as a UX Designer and could help you fix a lot of this. I believe that if I spent a bit more time and did some user testing, I could find more problems than just my own.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2018

@ddrucker

Yes, clicking anywhere or using the escape key to dismiss the window is possible, but it isn't clear at all that you can do that. Even if it is redundant, some sort of close box in the upper left corner of the window would erase that moment of confusion, especially when the window is in the midst of a lot of other windows.

Both Spotlight and Siri behave this way; we think most Mac users are pretty used to the concept by now. I'm sorry it was confusing.

The big gear icon in the search field is not just setting for search but is also the stand-in for a real menu and it looks disabled because it's such a light shade of grey.

Now I'm the one that's confused! This is (with the exception of a change in the grayscale that's so-slight-it's-unnoticeable unless A/B'ing side-by-side and the slightly-larger "hole" in the middle of the gear) the exact same menu (and location) that's existed in 1Password's mini since the debut of 1Password 5 for Mac in October of 2014 -- the mini you said in your initial post you wanted to return to using. Here again, the "gear" symbol is pretty well-understood for Apple device users as an indicator of Preferences or Settings (depending on OS).

The 'show' for tags always says the word 'show' whether the tags are showing or not.

I'm not sure what you mean? Here's the behavior:

If you're not getting that, maybe try a restart of 1Password for Mac or of your Mac?

The little 'magic wand' icon next to the words 'open and fill' is unnecessary...

Thanks for the feedback! :)

...but the 'chevron' for drilling down on the entry is really hard to hit

Fortunately, you don't have to hit the actual caret; the entire circle enclosing it will turn dark on mouseover (or lighter, if in Dark Mode on macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”)), allowing for a much larger clickable area than just the caret itself -- one that's considerably larger than the radio buttons and checkboxes users click regularly without issue:

In fact, in the 'Favorites' section, if you click below the list, it appears to launch the first in the list, whether you clicked on it or not - that's plainly a mistake!

No, it launches whichever Favorites item you had selected. If the Favorite you had selected is a Login, it will be launched. If the Favorite you had selected is not a Login item, then the default action is to open the item, instead:

Again, at the risk of sounding arrogant, I work as a UX Designer and could help you fix a lot of this.

You don't sound arrogant. We appreciate the offer, and encourage you to continue exploring 1Password 7 for Mac. Feel free to post any questions or comments you have about things you notice right here in this forum. :)

This discussion has been closed.