Why does the 1Password extension requires authorization every time I launch my browser

Options
srohde
srohde
Community Member

I'm curious to know why the 1Password extension requires authorization every time I launch my browser. Is there way to disabled the extremely annoying behaviour? Or is this UX intentional?

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: 4.7.3
OS Version: macOS 10.14
Sync Type: 1Password membership
Referrer: forum-search:1password authorization browser reapeatedly

Comments

• tofu4brains
    tofu4brains
    Community Member
    Options

I have this same problem. Please fix.

1PW v. 6.8.8
    extension v. 4.7.3
    OS 10.12.6
    Safari v. 11.1.2

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@srohde - do you have a cache cleaner app (or do you manually clean your browser's cache)?

• tofu4brains
    tofu4brains
    Community Member
    Options

Should cache and cookies be deleted?

• srohde
    srohde
    Community Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

The problem started two days ago, after cleaning my browser cache. Cleaned again and issue persists.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@srohde - right. That's what you don't want to do. In a normal setup, authorization only happens the first time*, so the issue here is that something is interfering with Safari saving or accessing the authorization state, or flat out deleting it. We just don't have any way of knowing what that could be on your system; only you could possibly know, whether it's something you're doing yourself, or some software you've installed that's doing it. It's possible that Safari itself is damaged, but that's fairly rare. Repeated Safari authorization is system specific, and there are three causes, all of which are outside of 1Password's control:

1. You’re actively doing something to reset/clear Safari.* 3rd party software or extension interfering: If Safari is being prevented from accessing its saved authorization, it will be required again. That could be because software prevents Safari from saving it, deletes it, or blocks it from finding it.
    2. Safari is broken: In rare cases, Safari itself is at the cause, as it simply isn't saving the authorization in the first place. In that case, there will be no way of it restoring the session with 1Password next time.
    3. By far the most common cause is "adblock" software of some kind, so if you're using anything like that it's a good place to start looking. So long as the authorization can be saved the first time and read subsequent times, it won't be necessary to do it over again. I know of one case where StrongVPN turned out to be the culprit, and there could be any number of other potential culprits as well.

Occasionally, this issue is as simple as a damaged extension which, when deleted and reinstalled from the Safari Extensions Gallery, resolves the issue. Try this:

• Uninstall the 1Password Safari Extension. You can do this in the Extensions tab of Safari's preferences.
    • Restart the Mac.
    • Launch 1Password and unlock.
    • Launch Safari and install a fresh copy of the extension from 1Password Safari Extension from Apple's Safari Extension Gallery.
    • Authorise/pair this new extension with 1Password. This prompt is expected.

Let me know how that works for you.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tofu4brains - please turn off all ad-blockers, VPNs, anti-virus software and other network filters, and see whether that makes a difference. Restart Safari after you've turned them all off, then try again. If that doesn't work, please try the above steps I gave @srohde to delete/re-install the 1Password extension in Safari.

• tofu4brains
    tofu4brains
    Community Member
    Options

Reinstall of 1PW extension per your instructions solved the problem. Adblock was/is not the problem. Thanks for the support!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tofu4brains - great! I'm glad I was able to assist. :)

• srohde
    srohde
    Community Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

@Lars , thank you so much for your detailed suggestions. Unfortunately, the problem persists. Not sure what has changed to trigger this behaviour (repeated requests for authorization) but I haven't installed any new apps or changed my browser config in a very long time. Nor am I using a ad blocker.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@srohde - looking back over the board history, you were reporting this same behavior back in around March as well -- what happened then? Did anything change between then and now?

This discussion has been closed.