Can't open or add existing vault on new mac

Options
twynne
twynne
Community Member

Hi all,

Migrated to a new MacBook (Pro) this evening, and after migration 1P wasn't working at all. I tried all of the following, but can't add my existing 1P account no matter how I try:

• Reinstalled the latest beta (as I was on the beta on the old MacBook)
  • I can access the preferences, but the plus button is greyed out so no way to add an account
  • Force quit 1P, removed it and all 1P files, emptied trash
  • Installed the non-beta release (7.2.1?)
  • Same symptoms as above, plus button in preferences unavailable
  • Tried logging into my1P via Safari, using 'Add your account directly' button. This won't even launch 1P successfully.
  • Tried using the barcode scanner. It detects the barcode on screen and guides turn green, but then nothing happens.
  • The one time I've been able to get an account to add, it comes up saying it found two accounts - both with the same name and nothing to differentiate them. Entering my master password fails when I attempt either. I've typed it multiple times being very careful, and caps lock is off so its not that.

So basically, what on earth is going on here?! Clean install of GA release doesn't work, beta release doesn't work. Migration from existing Mac doesn't work.

I've been a 1P user for years and I'm paid up for next year... I'm stumped.

Thanks

Tom

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.14.1
Sync Type: 1P Account
Referrer: forum-search:can't open vault on new mac

Comments

• twynne
    twynne
    Community Member
    Options

In case it's relevant, the only time I can access the 1P menus is when I first run it. There is no menubar icon appearing anywhere, yet I can see 1P in the running processes using Activity Monitor. I can force quit and start again, but the same just happens again.

• twynne
    twynne
    Community Member
    Options

And I've managed to find how I was able to get the barcode scanner and attempt sign in before.. by going to the license screen and choosing 'Buy Now', then clicking sign in from the next screen. I then get a screen with options (from memory) to scan, enter manually, etc. Unfortunately now that screen just disappears as if something has crashed, yet I can see 1p running in Activity Monitor.

My conclusion... something is seriously screwed here or you guys have created the most convoluted installation process I've ever experienced. I'm pulling my hair out here.

Please advise best way forward. Clearly deleting the app must be leaving something behind (despite Hazel suggesting every associated file to be removed) which is causing issues. Should I just completely remove 1P and start again? And if so how?

• twynne
    twynne
    Community Member
    Options

Further update today... having a bit more time to look at this, I followed the instructions to completely remove 1P from the machine. Interestingly, most of the areas proposed for manual deletion didn't exist anyway (suggesting to me 1P wasn't really fully installed anyway). Even after removing completely, restarting, then reinstalling, the same issues are occurring. I can only assume there is a product issue of some sort here - or something else on my Mac is conflicting.

I've raised with support via email for further assistance. If anyone has suggestions in the interim I'm happy to hear it. The bottom line, summarising all of the above, is that I cannot add an existing paid 1P account into what is in effect a completely clean installation of 1P. Not using the button in the 1P online site, nor the barcode scanner, nor manually entering the details. All seems very odd.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@twynne - I'm sorry for the trouble. Migrating from a previous computer can be fraught with problems, sometimes, depending on how things go. At this point, to get a better idea of what might be going on with your specific setup, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#KEB-93877-728]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @twynne only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: KEB-93877-728

• twynne
    twynne
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I've decided to completely restore the machine (again) and that is currently running. I'll try again once restored and if still issues will generate the report and send.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@twynne - sounds good. I'll wait to hear how you get on. Fingers crossed! :) :+1:

• twynne
    twynne
    Community Member
    Options

Argh - just typed a long reply and it somehow got lost. Short answer is the issue seems to be resolved, and I know in part why it happened.

Thanks for offer of assistance in any case. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@twynne - I just checked our "flagged" queue (sometimes the AI for our forum will mis-identify a post as possible spam) but nothing from you was in there, so I'm sorry your post got eaten...? On the other hand, I'm glad to hear that things seem to be straightened out. I'd love to be able to say "glad I was able to help," but if you solved it on your own, I can't hardly claim any credit. ;) Let us know if the problem recurs or if you need assistance with anything else. Have a great weekend. :)

This discussion has been closed.