"1password is not your default password manager" (Chrome)

Options

I just saw a new message when clicking the 1P X extension icon in the latest version of Chrome: "1Password is not your default password manager."

Does that mean that 1P is not the default password manager in Chrome, or system wide? I couldn't find through a Google search any reference to a default password manager, either in Mojave or Chrome (which may say more about my search skills than anything else...)

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: 1.12.2 (1PX)
OS Version: 10.14.1
Sync Type: 1P

Comments

• Hey @camner,

I'm glad you asked about this setting, as it's brand new and I want to make sure we explain it well enough. :) Your search skills aren't at fault, because we made up the concept by way of analogy to setting a default desktop app.

When you "make 1Password your default password manager" it disables Chrome features which would otherwise interfere with 1Password as you browse the web — namely, autofill suggestions and the "save password" prompt. You can also control these settings manually if you want, even if 1Password isn't your "default".

1Password X can't make changes outside of Chrome so the setting has no effect on Mojave (although it would be pretty cool if macOS had the concept of a configurable default password manager!)

Hope I've cleared that up for you.

-Mitch

• camner
    camner
    Community Member
    Options

Yes. This helps a great deal. Thanks much.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad Mitch was able to help. Cheers! :chuffed:

• simtrax
    simtrax
    Community Member
    edited March 2019
    Options

@Mitch @brenty

Hi,

I have a related problem to this topic.
    As a web dev I use 1Password for all production environments, works great.
    But when I do local development I like to use the built in password manager in Chrome to remember my super easy user credentials.
    Like email: admin@site.dev password: password
    I do not want these credentials to be stored in 1Password since they are totally fictional credentials. Within a year or two there would be hundreds of these credentials for all sites we develop.
    Imagine writing the long 1Password password each time you log in to a dev environment (I will get logged out of 1Password a lot of times during the day because of inactivity).
    Instead I just want Chrome to remember those credentials and autofill them for me.

As of right now I have to disable 1Password extension to be able to use Chrome's built in password manager.
    A while back I could have 1Password enabled and still use Chrome's password manager. When I needed credentials from 1Password I just hit the keyboard shortcut and got them from there.

Is there any way to get this to work as it used to?
    Both using 1Password and Chrome's manager.
    I understand that this is a strange request. But I guess there's lot's of devs out there that use 1Password and Chrome at the same time.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@simtrax: Thanks for getting in touch, and for explaining your situation. I hope you will appreciate that we can't really design 1Password around your specific use case, BUT...I think you should be able to use 1Password there. Maybe this is where we need some more info:

As of right now I have to disable 1Password extension to be able to use Chrome's built in password manager.

Can you elaborate? While certainly we always recommend disabling the browser's built-in autofill feature for a lot of good reasons (including security and privacy, but also just the convenience of not having to try to juggle both), not everyone heeds our advice so I know there are some out there who are doing it. It would be helpful to know the specific problem you're having. We're not going to be able to stop the browser from interfering, but you should be able to use 1Password in some fashion regardless. :)

• simtrax
    simtrax
    Community Member
    edited March 2019
    Options

@brenty

The credentials I want Google Chrome to autofill are just fake credentials. It does not matter if they are secure or not. It's credentials like
    admin@site.dev password: password.
    No reason to keep them safe in 1Password, forcing me to input my long 1Password several times a day just to find and autofill the fake credentials.
    Writing my 1Password password is like triple the amount of characters compared to the fake credentials, really annoying.
    I just want the fields to be autofilled without me having to type my huge 1Password password, just to fill faked credentials.

I have been using 1Password for 3-4 years. It has been great up until pretty recently when Chrome stopped autofilling my faked credentials. And instead 1Password took over.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@simtrax: I was really confused at first by your reply here:

The credentials I want Google Chrome to autofill are just fake credentials. It does not matter if they are secure or not. It's credentials like admin@site.dev password: password. No reason to keep them safe in 1Password, forcing me to input my long 1Password several times a day just to find and autofill the fake credentials.

But I think I understand now, and it's my own fault for not being clearer with my comments. I'm just saying that generally -- especially since this is a public discussion -- there can be a lot of confusion between what is saved where when using multiple pieces of software for this purpose. All fo that said, is there a particular reason you can't use 1Password for that? I understand that these are not really secrets you need to protect, but is there harm is saving them in 1Password and using it to fill (then just delete that login later when you don't need it -- or change some of the info for the next test)? I think the keyboard shortcut is more convenient than the browser implementation too, but that may be a matter of preference.

Writing my 1Password password is like triple the amount of characters compared to the fake credentials, really annoying. I just want the fields to be autofilled without me having to type my huge 1Password password, just to fill faked credentials.

I think that answers my question above. Maybe. But I wanted to address this separately since it brings another thing to mind: if these are fake credentials for a nonexistent (on the internet) test site, why not just make the username and password both "a", and not save or fill hem using anything? That seems the simplest approach, if I am understanding correctly. Anyway, just a thought.

I have been using 1Password for 3-4 years. It has been great up until pretty recently when Chrome stopped autofilling my faked credentials. And instead 1Password took over.

I'd really like to understand what you're talking about here. We haven't done anything to prevent Chrome's autofill from working. And though I know Chrome has changed a lot in this area recently, I'm not really sure at this point what your problem is. Can you clarify? To be clear, 1Password will never fill anything without your input, so it's not even possible that it would beat Chrome to the punch, so to speak. :)

• simtrax
    simtrax
    Community Member
    edited March 2019
    Options

@brenty

The reason for not using 1Password is mostly that it's lots of work writing the long password every time I sign in to a local site. This I do between 10-20 times a day, easily. On top of that I use 1Password an additional 10 times to sign in to actual production environments.
    That's a lot of times writing a really long password.
    The second reason is that my 1Password account would be full of fake credentials and I like to keep my 1Password vault really tidy, since it's credentials that are super important for my business. I could use a second vault for just fake credentials. But reason #1 is still a pain in the ****.

I can't use credentials like a / a since all sites we develop use email validation and passwords have to be longer than 1 character.

Here's the setting that causes the issues (see image below). So when 1Password is enabled Chrome will not display the dialog where it asks to save the credentials I just used to sign in.
    I can't enable "Offer to save passwords" since 1Password is controlling the setting.
    If I disable 1Password and enable "Offer to save passwords" and sign in again the desired dialog shows up, and I can save the credentials in Chrome. These will then be autofilled the next time I sign in. It will also autofill if I turn on 1Password again.

So right now, if I want to enable autofilling of credentials I have to disable 1Password, fill the credentials and then accept that Chrome saves the fake credentials. Then go to settings again and enable 1Password again.
    This I have to do for every new project we work on.

This might be a chrome related issue..But I have no idea..

• gmangesh
    gmangesh
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty,

For reasons of my own I wanted to keep the 1Password X extensions installed, but revert the default password manager back to Chrome's built-in password manager. I did not find any setting to revert back.

So I uninstalled the 1Password X extension and re-installed it. This time around I dismissed the "1Password is not the default..." prompt.

Now the 1Password X extension is installed and enabled all the time and Chrome is the default password manager.

You might want to try reinstalling the extension. Simply disabling it and re-enabling it does not cut it. HTH.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@simtrax: Thanks for taking the tine to give me a better sense of your use case, and to clarify the issue you were having. I'm sorry that I don't really have a solution for that, as that's just the way Chrome works now. I totally understand where you're coming from here, but it seems to me that the most effective -- if not ideal -- option would be to store the fake credentials in 1Password, maybe in a separate vault; but it might reduce clutter for you to just use a single "fake login" item and add multiple URLs for wherever you need to use it, rather than saving a separate login for each.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gmangesh: That could be a reasonable alternative too. Thank you for suggesting it! :)

• simtrax
    simtrax
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty @gmangesh

Doing as gmangesh stated seems to work. But I did not get any prompt.
    Seems to work anyway. Chrome's built in password manager is the default one and 1Password is enabled so I can use it when I need to.
    Thanks gmangesh!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm glad that proved to be a useful option for you. Cheers to you for the update, and to gmangesh for suggesting it! :chuffed:

• bkb
    bkb
    Community Member
    Options

I found that if I go into 1Password settings from the toolbar icon, then clicking the gear, then Settings, you can change the time before 1Password locks, but more importantly you can turn off the option "Make 1Password your Default Password manager". This leaves the extension in place which can be accessed from the menu icon, but lets Chrome remember your passwords. This works well and seems to match the way most people are asking for it to work. Disabling within Chrome settings disables the extension, but doing it through 1password's own setting works the best.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's an interesting point. Thanks for sharing!

This discussion has been closed.