Why do I not have an account? I have been using this for years...

davestreicher
davestreicher
Community Member

I am using 4 Macs and iOS devices. I have purchased the software years ago with Apple employee code. But I don't understand the whole picture. For some reason one of my Macs downloaded version 7. Now it is asking me for purchase information. Also, in preferences, somehow I have to connect accounts? Why don't I have all this? DO I need it? Confused...

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Why do I not have an account? I have been using this for years...

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @davestreicher! I'm sorry for the confusion. There are currently two ways to use 1Password:

With a 1Password account:

• You sign up for an account at the main 1Password  sign-up page.
    • Your subscription includes the 1Password apps across all platforms, with all updates and upgrades for as long as your account is active.
    • Once you sign in to your account in 1Password on a new device, all of your data is instantly available - no need to set up third-party sync.

As a standalone product (this is probably what you've been using in the past):

• You purchase licenses for each platform separately.
    • These licenses include all in-version updates, but a major version upgrade (such as 1Password 7) may require a paid upgrade.
    • You create local 1Password vaults, and if you like, choose how to sync your data. You can set up sync using a third party service (like Dropbox or iCloud.) If you do not set up sync, your data will remain only on your device.

1Password accounts also include access to your data via a web browser, and per-item backups so you always have a safe copy of your data off of your devices, and can roll back to a previous version of an item if a change is accidentally made.

If you downloaded and installed 1Password 7 for Mac and you don't have a 1password.com account and your last purchase of 1Password was a while ago, that'll be why 1Password 7 for Mac is asking you for purchase. Are you still with Apple?

• davestreicher
    davestreicher
    Community Member

Yes, I am still with Apple. It seems that I like to sync with iCloud. Everything is updated across the board. Easy! I am still wondering why I would need to have an account, although I wouldn't mind having everything so that I have "peace-of-mind".

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@davestreicher - please write in to us from your Apple email address at sales@1password.com and with your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/97799/why-do-i-not-have-an-account-i-have-been-using-this-for-years
    • Your forum username: @davestreicher

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here in this thread so I can track down your email and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

• davestreicher
    davestreicher
    Community Member

Ok, here is the number: your support ID is [#BUE-75584-478]

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@davestreicher - thanks, replied. :)

• xenic
    xenic
    Community Member

Hi,
    I'm in the same situation. Could you please advise?

• Hi @xenic

Did you get a chance to read Lars’ reply here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/472464/#Comment_472464 ?
    If so how would you like to proceed?

Ben

• xenic
    xenic
    Community Member
    edited November 2018

So,
    If I want to use 1P v7 the only way forward is to buy it again?
    I currently run Mac OS 10.13, is that even compatible with earlier versions to v7?

Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2018

@xenic - if your most-recent purchase of a standalone license was on or after March 26 of this year, then no -- you're already licensed. Similarly, if you have a 1password.com membership, all our applications (Mac, Windows, iOS and Android) are included. But other than that, yes -- version 7 is a new, full-version upgrade, and requires a new license (or a membership).

Or, by "same situation," did you mean you're also an Apple employee?

• xenic
    xenic
    Community Member

I see. Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@xenic - you're quite welcome! Have a great weekend. :)

• davestreicher
    davestreicher
    Community Member

OK, I am now finally getting around to doing this. I got your code, thanks. But now I am confused at the process. I tried to create an account online and it now wants me to create a password for the account... hmmm... I already have my little password for the program. Now I need another one? I thought this program was called "1 Password", not "2 Passwords". I am nervous it will write over my current archive... and also why do I need an "account" online? I feel the last version was better, sorry...

• halkamm
    halkamm
    Community Member

I have also been using 1Password for many years, one account on two iMacs, 2 iPhones and 2 iPads. I sync with Dropbox.
    For 1Password 7, to upgrade via a "standalone license", does one license meet my needs if if so, what is the price for one license?
    Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@davestreicher - I'm sorry for the delay in my reply; I was away for Thanksgiving. You'll need to create a Master Password for the 1password.com account -- but it can be the same one as you were previously using. In fact, if you feel your existing Master Password is both a) strong and b) hasn't been disclosed or breached, then there's no reason to change it, unless it was less than 10 characters, which is the lower limit on 1password.com accounts. Whatever you do, make sure you remember your Master Password -- write it down, if you're worried, perhaps on the Emergency Kit you should print out or save.

Where are you in the process now, and do you still need assistance?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@halkamm - a standalone license for 1Password 7 for Mac at retail price is $64.99, but right now, during "launch special" pricing, you can pick one up for $49.99 -- over 23% off. :) It's good on as many Macs as you personally own/use, but if there are other people in your family or group that want to use 1Password, they'd need their own license.

• halkamm
    halkamm
    Community Member

Thanks. My question also included the 1Password apps on my iPhones and iPads. Does the license apply to all of my devices?

• halkamm
    halkamm
    Community Member

Lars, I went ahead and bought a new license for 49.99. I closed version 6 and opened 7. My sync vault is on Dropbox. How do I import all of my logins from my previous Dropbox vault? When I try to Import from 1Password 6, there is no option in the dropdown as to where to move data to.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@halkamm - is version 6's Dropbox sync keychain in the older Agile Keychain format, or the current OPVault format? If you're not sure, open your Dropbox folder in Finder and check manually -- it'll either be .agilekeychain or .opvault. If it's an Agile Keychain, those have been deprecated and cannot be used in 1Password 7 for Mac; you'll need to choose "1Password Keychain" option in File > Import, not the "1Password 6" option. Click File > Import and choose "1Password Keychain" -- then navigate to the proper file in your Dropbox folder. That should work for you.

• kekid
    kekid
    Community Member

I bought 1password for single use using App Store on my macBook Pro. I have been using it for years. I upgraded from el capitan to mojave. Then I downloaded 1password 7. How do I get it to function with my existing account. I do not recall any details about the account except the master password. I know that the system recognizes the old account because when I click on the 1password icon and enter the master password, it shows all my stored information as Read Only. But I cannot actually use it to log in or fill in other data. How should I proceed?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@kekid - if you've been using 1Password for years, then you likely don't have a 1password.com account. Instead, you've been using 1Password in standalone mode (since accounts are a relatively new thing). 1Password 7 for Mac is an entirely new version, and it requires either the purchase of a standalone license (regularly $64.99 but on sale now for the "launch special" pricing of $49.99 - over 23% off!) or a 1password.com account ($35.88/yr.).

You've got a couple of options. If you want the standalone license, you'd need to be using our version, not the version available from the Mac App Store, as we no longer sell standalone 1Password 7 for Mac on the Mac App Store. If you would like to explore a 1password.com membership (which would be my recommendation for multiple reasons, you can do that as well. Finally, your third option would be to quit and uninstall 1Password 7 for Mac and reinstall version 6. That will work (for now) with the latest version of both macOS and Safari -- though the lifespan will be limited in terms of Safari, due to changes made by Apple in the new version of Safari. If you've got a sense of which of those you'd like to pursue and have questions about how to accomplish it, let me know! :)

• halkamm
    halkamm
    Community Member

OK, I was able to import the 1Password keychain and all of my logins are there. A new problem is that the Safari extension does not work. The icon is for version 7 is present but when clicked on, nothing happens.

• @halkamm

Please try restarting the Mac.

Thanks.

Ben

• halkamm
    halkamm
    Community Member

Thanks, that took care of it.

• You're welcome. :)

Ben

• davestreicher
    davestreicher
    Community Member

Guys, I am sorry. I took a break from this. I had trouble setting up an account. My Apple promo code is invalid. This process seems impossible. I can't understand what this new system is about. I guess I need an online account for some reason? And it can be a different password as my archived password? Anyway, I am trying to do this and it isn't working. I try to tell customers about it, but I don't know how to explain it. I just send them to your site and let them figure it out. I know it used to be easier. Please help.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@davestreicher - sorry to hear you're having trouble still. Given that this is discussing sensitive account-setup details, I think it's better to conduct this conversation privately, if you don't mind. I did send you a reply back on the 9th of November of last year, but never heard anything back. Do you still have that email?

• davestreicher
    davestreicher
    Community Member

Yes, I have the same email. I took a break from this. I figured I would start this out in the new year, but like I said, the code was invalid. So, do I send you a request using the same link info as last time?

• Please reply back to Lars in the email thread from November. We'll be able to assist via email. Thanks!

Ben

• davestreicher
    davestreicher
    Community Member

I tried to go back to the link, but it brought me back here. How can we proceed?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@davestreicher - I'm not sure what you mean by "link." When I asked you whether you still had that email, I meant: the email conversation we were having back then, not do you still own the email address. If you can locate that old conversation, just reply to my most-recent email, and we can pick up where we left off. If you can't find it or you deleted it, let me know and I can send you another email.

This discussion has been closed.