I just want to know how to add a new Secure Note now that 7 has taken over my app.

Options
jtolford
jtolford
Community Member

So, somehow version 7 replaced my old version, with which I was very happy. Now nothing works. I don't see how simply to add a new Secure Note or new anything. What happened??? I'm not too happy, I must say.

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14
Sync Type: ICloud
Referrer: forum-search:I just want to know how to add a new Secure Note now that 7 has taken over my app.

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @jtolford! I'm sorry for the trouble. Can you tell us what steps you took exactly, and what's not working? Adding a new Secure Note should be as simple as clicking the plus button at the top-center of the main 1Password window, and choosing "Secure Note" from the pop-up menu.

What happens when you try to do that?

• jtolford
    jtolford
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars, I think I figured it out. I was not interested to upgrade to version 7 and paying a subscription. I received a message saying "update available", clicked on it and got zapped by version 7. It replaced my copy of version 6. I thought I was supposed to get a 30 day free trial, but I only had it installed for a few days and it went to read only. So, if I buy a subscription, I will then be able to enter new Secure Notes. Tricky way to do business. I'm not happy about it, but all my info is in your product. I will not be a promoter of the product and probably will be stuck using it, paying a subscription and being pissed off about it. Thanks, though, for getting back to me!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2018
    Options

@jtolford

I received a message saying "update available", clicked on it and got zapped by version 7.

This isn't happening, currently. At least, it certainly shouldn't be. If you have 1Password 6 for Mac and you have a 1password.com account already signed into 1Password for Mac, then you would get the notice to upgrade from version 6 to version 7 because all 1password.com memberships come with access to all of our 1Password apps (Mac, Windows, iOS and Android). But if you're using a standalone setup, you won't get update notices from version 6 to version 7 yet, precisely because it IS a paid upgrade and we don't want people feeling "tricked."

I just installed version 6.8.8, and clicking "Check for updates" gave me version 6.8.9 (the final version of 1Password 6 for Mac). Pressing the "Check for updates" button on 6.8.9 resulted in "no updates available." I put "tricked" in quotes because I continue to be amazed at how many people claim to be avid computer users and yet simultaneously claim to be completely unaware that standard software industry practice is indeed to charge for new full versions of software. Do you have a copy of the message you received -- I'd like to make sure no one's getting messages that come with a "click here" button to upgrade to version 7 without informing them it's a paid upgrade. Please take a screenshot of the message you received, along with where you saw it (email? Pop-up? Something else?), so I can track it down. Thanks.

I thought I was supposed to get a 30 day free trial...

You do -- all 1password.com memberships come with a 30-day trial. What doesn't come with a 30-day trial is 1Password 7 for Mac by itself. If you are using 1Password in standalone mode, there's no free trial of version 7.0 as a standalone app.

...all my info is in your product. I will not be a promoter of the product and probably will be stuck using it, paying a subscription

Not unless you choose to. Your data is yours. Even when 1Password for Mac is in Read Only mode, you can still export your data to take it with you to any other setup you wish - competitor, spreadsheet, heck, sticky notes if you must - but you are never "locked in" to using 1Password. We don't hold your data hostage because 1) it's yours, but also 2) we want users who are happy about using 1Password, not ones who feel trapped.

It's also not the case that you're required to have a 1password.com account if you want version 7 of 1Password for Mac; we still sell standalone licenses as well as subscriptions. If you've installed 1Password 7 for Mac and can't create new data, that's a function of being in Read Only mode (you can't create, edit or delete any data in 1Password -- though like I said, you can export it). You'll see a "Read Only" banner at the top right of all your items in the main 1Password window. Clicking any of them should take you to this purchase options screen:

The large green button is to subscribe to a 1password.com account, but if you click the link I've highlighted, you can purchase a standalone license. And if you've decided not to upgrade, you can simply Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), delete version 7 by dragging it to the trash, and reinstall version 6 (should be a zipped copy right in your Applications folder, left over from the version 7 install).

Hope that helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.