Why are generated passwords on new accounts marked as duplicates in watchtower?

Hello, I've been going through and updating my important account's passwords using the password generator in the firefox extension. However, every password that I generate, watchtower seems to consider as a "duplicate" with the login entry, and flashes warnings all over the app, despite the entry from the password category clearly being generated for use with a corresponding login. Is this a known issue, or am I updating my passwords in an unintended way?

Also, what exactly is the difference between the "login" category, and the "password" category? Obviously I use the logins for forum entries typically, but what are the password entries supposed to be used for? Is there documentation available on each of the categories and their intended usage?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@drism: Without knowing the details, it's impossible to say for certain. But it sounds like you have both Password and Login items saved with the same password. Is that correct? If so, it would make sense that Watchtower would tell you, since multiple items are using the same password. Once you have a Login saved for a website using the correct password, you can safely delete the Password item, as those are only needed as a safety net in case you didn't save a Login. Password items are for generated passwords only, while Login items are used for -- you guessed it -- logging into websites. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.