1Password says now in read-only mode after new setup

Options

Hello,

I have been using 1Password for at least 2-3 years now on iPhone and Windows for my computer. I bought it (but I seem to understand there are two types of purchased versions, either the ACCOUNT version or the one I have which I can't seem to figure out by the website...) I have just set up a new laptop and after installing 1Password, I realize it says it is in read-only mode for some reason. This never happened to me before : I switched laptops recently (both Windows 10), and my previous laptop was working like normal where I could save new passwords, generate them, etc. This version on my desktop works fine still, but the one on my laptop is read-only.

I tried using 1Password 4 as well as the newer version (App), but neither works in my favor.

Any help would be appreciated please. This is frustrating...

1Password Version: 7.2.581 and 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• spastik0827
    spastik0827
    Community Member
    Options

Found an answer. Seems the Chrome extension suggested automatically wasn't the right one. I Googled it, and I needed to install this extension instead (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password-extension-deskt/aomjjhallfgjeglblehebfpbcfeobpgk/related?hl=en)

For what it's worth, maybe someone at 1Password should work on making this clearer...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@spastik0827: It's really advisable to not have both versions installed, as you'll run into trouble with both trying to connect to the browser.

I'm not at all sure what you mean by "the Chrome extension suggested automatically". That doesn't sound like it's anything to do with 1Password. But you'll find the 1Password desktop extension directly below the app on our download page:

https://1password.com/downloads/

1Password for Windows version 7 is a separate purchase if you don't have a license for that yet, or you can get it as part of a 1Password.com membership. You can find pricing in the announcements detailing what's new:

1Password 7 for Windows: The Best Ever

Otherwise you can continue using the specific version you paid for (you'll see that in your license email). Either way, if you have any questions, just ask. :)

• MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same problem. Old computer went kuput so got a new one. I have been using 1Password since I can remember. I was forced to switch to OPVault which was kinda a hassle, but they are all up and running. All of my other machines are Apple desktop, laptop, and mobile devices. How do I install a Windows 1Password program that is consistent with what I had on the old machine so I can have read/write syncing?. I own standalone versions but I installed them ages ago. I do not know what version I had on the old Windows machine. Is the price for version 7 an upgrade cost - how much? How do I know what version I am running on my Apple devices?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MikeV99: You can find the version you're using in the app, and pricing in the announcements detailing what's new:

1Password 7 for Mac: The Best Ever

1Password 7 for Windows: The Best Ever

Otherwise you can get all of the apps and updates as part of a 1Password.com membership, or download the version you purchased and apply your license. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member
    Options

I have version 6.8 from the Apple store on all my Apple devices. Your windows link does not mention cost, unless I missed it. How do I find out what I had on my old Windows machine? I am sure it will be old. I might download V4 and try it unless v7 standalone is not too costly.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I have version 6.8 from the Apple store on all my Apple devices. Your windows link does not mention cost, unless I missed it.

@MikeV99: It's toward the end, under "How do I get it?" just like the 1Password for Mac announcement.

How do I find out what I had on my old Windows machine? I am sure it will be old. I might download V4 and try it unless v7 standalone is not too costly.

You'd need to check your records for the license email. That will tell you the version, and you'd need to get the license from there anyway. If you're unable to find it, we can help you look if you'll shoot us an email at support@1password.com from the address you used to purchase it. There's literally nothing under this one.

• MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member
    Options

I just decided to buy a license. However, where do I go in v7 to see my sync info (preference/Syncing?)?

Thank you for you help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2018
    Options

@MikeV99: You won't see a Sync tab in Preferences if you're using only a 1Password.com account in the app. If you're using any local vaults though, you can go to Preferences > Sync to configure that. :)

This discussion has been closed.