I'm having trouble dealing with the new version 1Password7. Two issues.

Options
humphreykj56
humphreykj56
Community Member

Just my husband and I used to share one vault and use the same login, backing up to Drobox. Now it seems that we should subscribe to the family option, that I should invite him to use a shared vault, and that I should move all our logins from my primary vault to a shared vault. Agree? Or can we continue to use the same login. Next, is it better to back up to Agilebits, or re-route the syncing back to Dropbox?? This upgrade was a tough one.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:syncing dropbox versus agilebytes?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@humphreykj56: I'm sorry to hear that you've had some struggles upgrading. If you'll let me know the specifics, I'm sure I can help!

Regarding sync and backup, I think it's important not to confuse the two. Backup means having a known-good, complete copy of your data in case of a disaster. Sync, on the other hand, will also include synchronizing deleted or corrupt data, so it isn't something that can be relied on for recovery.

I'd definitely recommend a 1Password.com membership on both counts, since it includes both built-in sync and automatic offsite backup. That way, even if all of your devices are lost, stolen, or destroyed, you only need to sign into your account to access your data again.

1Password Families is a great option, but it sounds like you might actually prefer to share an individual 1Password.com membership. That would allow you to both have the same account, same data, and same Master Password. If you're okay with that, you're welcome to use it that way. I will just say that it does mean giving up a few things that may or may not matter to you:

• Recovery: Organizers in a 1Password Families plan can help other family members recover their accounts if they get locked out.
    • Private accounts for each family member: each would have their own account with a Master Password of their choosing, their own Private vault which no one else can access, and then access to other vaults which have been shared with them.
    • Sharing: being able to create additional vaults to share with some, all, or none of your family members can be very useful.

Again, it sounds like maybe you'd prefer an individual membership anyway, but I did want to mention those differences just to be sure. Either way, let me know if you have questions. :)

• humphreykj56
    humphreykj56
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty - I've been kicking this problem down the road because my issues are getting more and more complicated, and yesterday I got one of those threatening spam emails - which is totally false - but motivates me to finally get 1Password membership working. I don't believe I have access to my secret key or emergency kit right now - is there any way I can talk to someone?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@humphreykj56: I hear you. It's at least empowering to know that it's a scam. It's still gross to get those, but you can sleep easier with that knowledge, and by taking control of your digital life. We can't stop the scammers from scamming, but we can make sure that they don't get anything from us at least. :sunglasses:

At this point, I'm not really clear on how you want to proceed. We can help you here, or via email -- whichever you prefer. If you need assistance with specific instructions on how to set things up on your devices, email would be better so we can exchange more detailed information without you having to go into the specifics publicly. In that case, shoot us an email at support@1password.com and post the Support ID you receive here so we can pick up the conversation. I look forward to hearing back from you. :)

This discussion has been closed.