Upgrading from 1Password 3.? to 1Password 7 subscription

Options
paba873
paba873
Community Member

Hi I recently upgraded my MacBook to Mojave and my old version of 1Password (3.something) which worked perfectly for me has stopped working.

I upgraded to the V7 subscription but cannot import my old data. Have tried everything. This has left me rather screwed.

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks

Paul

1Password Version: 3.1 Old to V 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @paba873! I'm sorry for the trouble. 1Password 3 for Mac was a great product in its day, but (believe it or not) it was introduced almost exactly nine years ago, in November of 2009. The last meaningful update was in mid-2012. We're four full versions past it now, and (as you discovered), time and changes in both macOS and other technologies (browsers, etc) have rendered version 3 essentially unusable in macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”).

However, we've got a great, step-by-step guide for upgrading from version 3. Give that a try, and let us know how you get on. Make sure you remove old 1Password extensions from your browser(s) when you're done.

• kevinast
    kevinast
    Community Member
    Options

So i'm also trying to upgrade my 1Password 3 (which stopped working with mojave upgrade) to 1Password 7. i got through the instructions in your guide but am stumped by this final part
    from your guide:
    Step 3: Install the latest 1Password app

Download and install the latest version of 1Password for Mac from our website.
    Open your newly installed copy of 1Password.
    On the Welcome screen, sign up for a 1Password account, or create a standalone vault to use 1Password for Mac with a license.
    Choose File > Import, then click 1Password Keychain.
    Select a vault to import your data to, then click Choose File and select your 1Password 3 vault.

where is the 1Password 3 vault and what does it even look like? i found some backups that end in agile keychain_zip but the dialog greys them out so that doesn't seem to be a good sign. Any help greatly appreciated...
    ..kevin

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @kevinast! I'm sorry for the trouble. 1Password 3 for Mac is very old at this point (first released ten years ago in 2009, last meaningful update in 2012). It's been in Legacy mode for many years. From your description, it sounds as if you're using these instructions for upgrading from 1Password 3 for Mac. Versions 4-6 have an automatic process for this, but version 3 is simply too old at this point, so it requires a different set of steps. Instead of having your data automatically imported and converted (if necessary), you instead have to manually import the data from the older Agile Keychain format into an existing empty vault.

In 1Password 3 for Mac, your vault is in Agile Keychain format, and it's...wherever you put it. The default location would be in your ~/Library/Application Support/1Password folder, but if you were syncing your 1Password data via Dropbox, it could be in your Dropbox folder somewhere. If you can't recall or don't know where your 1Password Agile Keychain for version 3 was, you can do a search for agilekeychain in Spotlight. Make sure you've got the correct one, if there are multiple results. Don't use anything ending in _zip, as these are likely older backups and can't be directly imported anyway. You need the current active Agile Keychain, which will end in .agilekeychain ONLY. Let us know how you get on!

• kevinast
    kevinast
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars, getting back to this after finding what I believe is my agilekeychain. it is called 1Password.agilekeychain and it was created several years ago. when you say "manually import the data", can you provide a little more detail on the process for doing this? i'm not really familiar with agilekeychains, their format or tools to manipulate them. Can i do something from within 1Password v7 to import the data? thanks for your help as always
    ..kevin.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @kevinast

That would all be covered by this guide: https://support.1password.com/cs/upgrade-mac-v3/ :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.