Please help. Today (25th Dec) I received a popup from you informing me of the latest update (2.8.13). I duly updated as usual but the update was not working. The extension would not open and flagged a problem message that I could not read because the extension would not open. The main program opened but would not fill in passwords etc. Everything was working before the update. I worked my way through your trouble shooting guide including downloading your trouble shooting program. I went stage by stage though all the actions you recommend without success until I got to the action to Reset Launch Services and reinstall 1Password from iTunes. I followed this instruction and downloaded (3.9.2) which works but I have now been charged £20.99 by itunes for the program I already owned.
I can provide licence numbers and receipts from yourself and itunes if required
£20.99 is a lot of money to me, please assist ASAP.
Thank you in anticipation