Very disappointed with support

Options
jkav
jkav
Community Member

I have been a 1PW customer since 2006 when they first started. I recently pinged them for support on 10/27 via email. Sent a follow up email on 10/31, 11/02, 11/06 and 11/07 and still no reply.

I even messaged support+urgent email and still have had no answer. It’s very concerning that the folks that I trust with my very personal and private data are taking this long to get back to me. I had a similar experience when iOS 12 shipped back in September but to see this kind of thing happening nearly 2 months later is a bit concerning. Maybe I should take my business elsewhere?

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jkav - I'm really sorry for the delay in our reply. There are a few things going on here: first, we answer user issues in the order we receive them...and with the simultaneous release of 1Password 7 for Mac and 1Password 7 for Windows as well as the changes in macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”), we've been significantly backed up lately. The other thing is that the way our email system works is that "order we receive" is based on the time-stamp of the message...so if you send us an email and then reply again in the same thread before we have a chance to answer you, all you're doing is pushing yourself to the back of the queue, each time you do so. This isn't a criticism or a punishment, it's simply the way the system is designed (we didn't design it, it's a commercial system).

The unfortunate result of this is that people who are more-anxious and email us repeatedly tend to go the opposite direction in the queue from the direction they wanted. We're working hard to answer everyone and get back to our usual quicker response times, but we're not there just yet. However, I've checked through our email queues using the only email address I have for you (the one you used to register on this forum), and although I can find about a dozen separate requests from you at this address going back more than four years, I wasn't able to find anything newer than about five months old. Did you perhaps use a different email address to contact us this time? You should have received an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down your email and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. Thanks! :)

• jkav
    jkav
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Lars,

That is very disappointing to hear that my email gets kicked to the bottom of the queue when I respond. If that’s the case, then I think your original “hey, we got your email” should mention that. Had I known that replying to my own email would push me lower in the queue I probably wouldn’t have done that.

I am not sure why my requests are not showing up, but I’m emailing from the email associated with my 1PW account. The support IDs are: #FAA-564466-745 and EQE-11196-499.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited November 2018
    Options

Thanks for providing the support IDs. I’m looking into those now. I’m also speaking with some of our folks to see how we might best address the situation Lars outlined — it isn’t something that customers run across frequently but I understand it can be incredibly frustrating when someone does.

Ben

ref: EQE-11196-499

• jkav
    jkav
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks.

• jkav
    jkav
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for clarifying. I really feel that an 8 day wait on a rather important security concern isn't a great experience for me. I trust you folks with my data and feel you do a kick ass job at doing that. I understand that you've released new software for MacOS, but come on, you need to be more prepared for that. Furthermore, the fact that I replied to my own email (because nobody was replying) shouldn't have kicked me to the bottom of the queue. As I had stated on the forum post, if that is the case, then the original "hey, we've got your message" email, then that should be communicated in that message. Irrespective of what I've mentioned, I'm really not thrilled with the lack of response. I would have been much more at ease if someone reached out 48 hours later and said "hey, we're really busy but we'll get right back to you". I also found that emailing "support+urgent" did nothing for me as no one responded till I hit the forum. Please consider addressing this.

I did not see a reply to my first question. Can I use the QR code (as long as my master password/account key doesn't change) as a reliable way to get into my account? I would be much rather at ease if I could store a QR code in my camera roll rather than my actual key.

In regards to my second question, Yes, I was not prompted for my master password after restoring from a iCloud backup on a new device. I was expecting to be asked to punch that in, but instead a simple "touch ID" prompt let me right in. Not sure how that worked as touch ID data is stored on the secure enclave and is not cloud accessible by any means.

Lastly, are there any plans to support an iOS YubiKey style hardware or any hardware for that matter?

I trust you (along with millions of other folks) with very private data. Going 8+ days with no acknowledgement is really frustrating and concerning.

• Ben
    Options

@jkav

I’ve already replied to that same exact message via email. Would you like me to post the reply here as well?

Ben

• rswc90
    rswc90
    Community Member
    Options

If anyone can reply to this, I, too, am VERY disappointed with support. I keep getting canned auto-emails from you with no helpful links to my questions. Now, I have just signed on to the online program after having used you folks since 1PW 2 or 3 stand-alone and having bought each upgrade. I am skeptical at best because now I have dupes of all my passwords, am linked to my dropbox and am not getting any replies from anyone... So, do I UNLINK from dropbox now? Will that eliminate my 4 sets of passwords? Thanks.

• Ben
    Options

@rswc90

I see you wrote to us about 10 hours ago. My apologies, but it is currently taking a few days to get to everyone’s messages. I see your email has been flagged as urgent, so that will speed up the process a bit. We can get into more details via email but in short the answer is yes, you should delete the Primary vault after you’ve migrated your data to 1Password.com. If you’re seeing duplicates after a migration it is almost always because the Primary vault was not deleted. If you only intend to have one vault the only one you should have is the “Personal” or “Private” vault.

Do you see duplicates if you log in to https://my.1password.com/ ? If not then deleting extraneous vaults should fix the issue.

Ben

ref: QZS-95164-231

• rswc90
    rswc90
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for this response -- Yes, I wrote to you 3 weeks ago (after receiving the list of form questions of a March 2018 series I asked!) so I do appreciate your quicker response here! The dropbox removal did the trick. Also, I was supposed to get an extra free month if I signed up -- I didn't see that added to my account. This probably isn't the place to discuss it, but since I have your ear ... how do I get the extra month - just curious! Thanks again.

• Ben
    Options

@rswc90

My apologies — it doesn’t appear we ever received your original email 3 weeks ago. Did you get a support ID for that? If so could you please post that here? I’m glad to hear removing the extranious vaults resolved the issue with duplicates. I understand the concern about not receiving the promotion you thought you were getting. I’ll reply to your email to get further details about that.

Ben

• rswc90
    rswc90
    Community Member
    Options

One last question... I UNCHECKED dropbox but was fearful of deleting it completely. Now I see on my phone app that I am syncing to Dropbox but that my Personal account "should" be the one that I am connecting to, I thought. There's no other choice on my iPhone app to sync with anything except dropbox. If I delete 1PW in Dropbox, where will it sync (and I thought I was moving away from DB with 1PW by subscribing) -- Did I do something wrong when I set this up? Thanks!

• Ben
    Options

@rswc90

Once you're on 1Password.com you should stop using Dropbox for 1Password entirely. Anything else can cause problems in the future. If you have a vault named "Primary" that should be deleted. The data in the Personal vault syncs via 1Password.com. That will not show in the sync tab (the sync tab will disappear entirely if you are set up properly).

Ben

• rswc90
    rswc90
    Community Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

I still have choices... see attached

• Ben
    Options

Both Demo and Primary should be deleted (in that order -- order is important). Alternatively you can uninstall & reinstall 1Password for iOS and sign into your membership account upon reinstallation, which will accomplish the same thing. Whichever is easier. :)

Ben

• MatthewUnamused
    MatthewUnamused
    Community Member
    Options

I am getting extremely frustrated that support simply does not respond. I have reached out twice since the 20th of February 2019 and have only had on automated email response telling me that support will getting back to me. After a week of not hearing from support I replied to that mail asking for some response.

[#UGN-16362-696] Question about 1Password

I lost my old Iphone and have got a new phone, downloaded 1Password and cannot sync with my icloud. All your online support pages re syncing with Icloud are confusing and do not make any sense as they refer to options that do not exist and show screenshots of options that do not exist.

I am in a situation whereby I cannot access my old passwords, your online documentation is not helpful as it refer to options that do not exist and show screenshots of options that do not exist. And I cannot get any response from support. I feel completely locked out and feel somewhat frustrated that now I have to consider that I have lost all my passwords and will have to go through the painful process of resetting everything across platform and account. I also feel a bit irritated with 1password as a brand as I heavily promoted your product in the early years and got many friends and colleagues to start using your product, however now I cannot even get support.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MatthewUnamused,

We are very sorry for the delay but we have been experiencing a surge of user requests lately, so we are not replying to emails as fast as we normally do. I wanted to assure you, though, that we reply to every email in the order we receive them, so I promise we will get back to you as soon as possible.

I also just replied to your question on separate discussion that you created here, so lets please continue this conversation there.

Thank you very much for your patience!

This discussion has been closed.