Bug Report: Unable to view items when offline

There's a niggling bug which has been present in the last few versions of 1Password 7 which makes viewing items offline extremely difficult.

I wasn't going to report it because I assumed that it would've been fixed but perhaps my use-case is not so common and nobody has noticed.

One of my computers is used predominantly offline and this makes accessing my items extremely hard. When you try and use the scroll bars in the items section of the vault it jitters and prevents you from clicking on an item. Even when you use the search function the items list jumps straight to the top.

If you click an item multiple times it sometimes work.

To replicate this issue: turn off your internet connection or disable WiFi.

Comments

• Hey, @gazu! I'm not able to reproduce this myself. I disabled my network adapter completely and everything works just as well as it does when I'm connected to the internet. Any chance 1Password or your system is missing some updates? There are Windows-provided resources 1Password relies on, so depending on how you keep this mostly-offline machine's operating system updated, I could see outdated versions of those dependencies potentially giving you problems. What about when you do bring this machine online? Does this improve things? Any trend on when it starts happening? For example, do you run into trouble as soon as you disconnect, or must the machine be offline for an extended period before problems start?

• gazu
    gazu
    Community Member

Hey @bundtkate thanks for looking into this for me.

Do you have 1Password already running when you disable your network adaptor? When you said you couldn't reproduce this I used the same computer, connected it to the internet, opened 1Password and then disabled WiFi. The issue doesn't appear.

Could you try the following please;

1. Force close 1Password by right clicking on the tray icon and hitting exit
    2. Ensure internet access is disabled
    3. Open 1Password, type in your master password and then try clicking on an item

If this works for you then there's a problem on my system. :(

Any chance 1Password or your system is missing some updates?

Not that I know of because I connect my offline system monthly to receive updates.

1Password version 7.2.581 (membership)
    Windows 10 version 1809 (17763.55)

What about when you do bring this machine online? Does this improve things?

Yes, it improves things which is why it makes me think there is a bug in 1Password that forces it into a sync loop.

Any trend on when it starts happening? For example, do you run into trouble as soon as you disconnect, or must the machine be offline for an extended period before problems start?

The only trend is that whenever 1Password asks for the master password, if the system is offline, then the issue occurs.

If I disconnect after the initial sync (open 1Password, let it automatically sync, turn off internet) then the issue doesn't appear.

The problem doesn't seem to be linked with the amount of period that my system is offline for although I do have a yearly membership paid for to rule out any licensing issues.

• Hi @gazu,

Force close 1Password by right clicking on the tray icon and hitting exit, ensure internet access is disabled, open 1Password, type in your master password and then try clicking on an item

Like Kate, I can't reproduce this.

Try to reproduce the issue and then email us your 1Password diagnostics report. Please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at support+windows@1Password.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.