Thunderbird support

Hello everybody.
I'm currently using the trial version and I like 1password a lot.
The only feature I really miss is a plugin support for Thunderbird email client.
I read in some posts in this forum that this kind of support is not planned. This is a sad news for me, because I have a few email accounts that are all managed through it. I use the "master password" feature there, but I don't think is as safe as having it managed by 1password.
I found that one of your competitors supports Thunderbird.
I wonder if is there a chance to get this feature to be developed in the future.
Thanks!
Massimo.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:thunderbird

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

We don't have any current plans to support email clients. We keep pretty busy with web browsers, since that's where logins need to be filled 99.99% of the time. And I don't recall us even getting requests for email client integration before. Sorry.

You can, however, use the 1Password for Windows "Type in window" feature to easily fill a password in many cases by right-clicking that login and selecting the destination. Cheers! :)

• massimoperini
    massimoperini
    Community Member

Thanks for your prompt reply.
    I don't understand why people nowadays is not using email clients as before. I always hate managing the email accounts in the browser, while in an email client is so easier and faster, I will never prefer to manage my emails in a browser.
    Since I'm a developer myself, mostly into js and web components, do you think I can develop a plugin for Thunderbird? I didn't take a look at your git repository so far, I wonder if it's possible for an external developer to do it or not.
    In case it's possible, I will really appreciate any suggestion.
    Thanks again!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@massimoperini

How much did you pay for Thunderbird? Nothing, its free. The mail client war is over. The major platforms have their mail client apps, and most customers want the same mail experience on their desktop and mobile devices, regardless of platform. The web UI is more than adequate for the vast majority of users (who are not tech-savvy).

Mozilla itself has no idea how to make money from Thunderbird, or what to do with it. It has floundered for years.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@massimoperini: I'm one of the people who used mail clients like that for decades (Eudora, Minotaur -- back before Firefox was Firefox, and called Phoenix -- and many others I've since forgotten), but I've also went the way of using a combination of 1st party mail apps and webmail (not really a fan of Microsoft's Windows 10 client). So while I get where you're coming from, things have been moving away from that for a long, long time. I really don't think it's feasible or worthwhile for us to try to support individual mail clients when almost everyone moved to webmail pretty much as soon as Gmail no longer required an invitation. So I wouldn't encourage you to spend time essentially creating a 1Password client from scratch solely for that purpose, especially since it sounds like you'd use it to fill literally one password there, I guess a handful of times a day. Definitely check out the "Type in window" feature in 1Password 7. That's the first step toward a more advanced Auto-Type feature we'd like to build to allow filling in most places on Windows. I think that will help many more people. :)

• massimoperini
    massimoperini
    Community Member

@brenty actually the purpouse of a plugin should be to manage the passwords for all the accounts so you don't need to use a master password. I understand that developing a plugin myself would mean a lot of work, but I could try (I love programming). I will however also try the "Type in window" feature for sure. Thanks for your help.

• Hi @massimoperini,

If you have a 1Password account, you may be able to use our command line tool to help with some of your work: https://support.1password.com/command-line/

On behalf of Brenty, you're welcome.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited November 2018

Going by the percentage of Thunderbird to Firefox extensions ratio, excluding the old deprecated Firefox legacy extensions, the Thunderbird extensions total count had always be lesser. I wouldn't expect Agilebits to develop for a email client with a diminishing base however current it is. The latest version of Thunderbird is v60.2.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited November 2018

The latest version of Firefox ESR is v60.3. Thunderbird v60.3 (15 Novenber 2018) is an ESR release with a smaller total number of extensions using the newer WebExtensions when compared to Firefox ESR or Quantum,

This discussion has been closed.