Autofill on iPhone and iPad

Options
RobH17
RobH17
Community Member

Hi,
I am a new user with 1Password on iPhone and iPad. I believe I have both devices set up the same with autofill and Touch ID. I notice that on the iPhone when I ask 1Password to autofill a form I have to confirm with Touch ID before the form is filled. The iPad is different, I select the logon from the bar at the top of the keyboard and 1Password fills the form immediately without Touch ID. If my memory is correct this is not how the iPad was behaving until two days ago but now it never asks for Touch ID before filling the form. I have updated both devices to 7.2.2 but this makes no difference both are also iOS 12.0.1. I am not sure what the expected behaviour should be but I think it should be consistent across devices. Can anyone please explain what is happening here and which is the expected behaviour.
Thanks
Rob

1Password Version: iOS app 7.2.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 12.0.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi Rob,

In 1Password please check the Settings > Advanced > Security and see if you have the always show lock screen for Password AutoFill enabled. Please also check Settings > Security > Lock on Exit. It sounds like you'll want both of those settings enabled on both devices.

Ben

• RobH17
    RobH17
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,
    Thanks for your response. Both devices were set up the same with always show lock screen switched off. Switching it on makes both devices work the same way i.e. they both pop up the 1Password lock screen, the only difference being that on the iPad it looks like a pop up over Safari whereas on the iPhone it fills the whole screen. If the setting is off I still get a Touch ID required on the iPhone but it looks different e.g.
    Touch ID to Log in to "acronis.Com"
    instead of
    Touch ID for "1Password"
    I never see that first style of Touch ID dialog on the iPad.
    Rob

• Ben
    Options

@RobH17

In the first screenshot the Touch ID request is coming from the iOS 12 Password AutoFill feature. In the second the request is coming from the 1Password UI within Password AutoFill. In the first screenshot the 1Password app isn't involved at all -- Password AutoFill is just accessing the data that 1Password has provided to it.

The point being you'll have a different experience based on if you are interacting with Password AutoFill exclusively, or if 1Password is involved.

Ben

• RobH17
    RobH17
    Community Member
    Options

..and in iOS settings > Touch ID and Passcode, Use Touch ID for Password Autofill was not switched on for the iPad.

Thanks for clarifying Ben.

Rob

• Ben
    Options

That would do it. Thanks for the update Rob! Glad to hear that got it sorted out. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.