IOS Version Vault and Pin Code locations

Bagsy
Bagsy
Community Member
edited November 2018 in iOS

The only device I have is a iPhone 8 and since I have an Apple Id I also have 5GB iCloud storage but other than that I do not use any cloud storage solutions, I have no requirement for them. I am currently evaluating 1Password and so far all I have done is download the app from AppStore and set up a few passwords, I haven't signed up for a 1Password account and I haven't purchase the Pro version of the app as the extra functionality is of no use to me.
I am interested to learn where the vault that contains my passwords resides. Is it on my phone or is it in my iCloud storage or both. If its on my phone why can't I see it when I connect my phone to iTunes? The only thing I can see that's associated with the 1Password app is a folder called Backups which contains a file with the extension 1p4_zip. Also I have switched on the PIN Code function in Settings>Security and I'm curious to know where that pin code is stored. Finally my phone backs up regularly to iCloud. If the vault is only on my iPhone I am assuming that it is copied as part of the backup process as there isn't a way of excluding it, or is there?

1Password Version: 7.2.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IOS 12.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• If you are not using a 1Password.com account and do not have any 3rd party sync options set up then your data is only stored on your iPhone. This is not recommended: consider what will happen if that device is lost/stolen/broken, or you upgrade to a new device and forget to transfer the data over. ITunes doesn't display this information to you because iTunes doesn't display the databases of apps. We highly recommend 1Password.com membership. The built-in iOS backup to iCloud does not reliably back up 1Password data. If you want to store your 1Password data with iCloud please set up syncing. As for the PIN code, it utilizes the iOS keychain (which is local to your device). This is different from iCloud Keychain, which is Apple's cloud based password management solution.

Thanks.

Ben

• Bagsy
    Bagsy
    Community Member

Many thanks for the information Ben. I will be looking at syncing later in my evaluation. The reason I was curious about not being able to see the vault in iTunes is that the database used by Keepass is visible and can be saved to or copied from the device on which iTunes is running.

• @Bagsy

Thanks for the update. :+1: It sounds like Keepass has implemented "iTunes File Sharing." We tried a similar approach in the past but were not happy with how it worked.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.