Settings for password generator in the field dropdown menu

Hello,

I have a small feature request for the 1PasswordX password generator. Currently there are two ways of generating a password: the one in the main extension window, and the one in the website password field dropdown menu. The one in the main extension window is great because I can set the length, exclude symbols etc. However, it seems like the settings chosen there does not apply to the password generator in the dropdown menu. In a perfect world it probably doesn't matter, but I found that more than half the time the website doesn't like the password generated in the dropdown menu because it contains some special characters or is too long. It would be great if I could set the length and exclude characters in the password generated in the dropdown menu.

Thank you

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.13.1
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Thank you for this feature request, @kevdliu.

I like how mentioned that in a "perfect world," the dropdown menu wouldn't need any settings. The suggested password should intelligently adapt to limitations of the page. Clearly we're not there yet, but it's a goal we're working toward.

It's a really nice feeling to press "Use Suggested Password" and get a strong, unique password without any fuss. I think adding settings to the dropdown would compromise that experience a bit, especially since they're already available in the pop-up. But at the end of the day 1Password should support your workflow and not make it harder, and we'll make sure to take your feedback into account as we build the password generator.

Cheers,
    Mitch

• kevdliu
    kevdliu
    Community Member

Hello Mitch,

Thank you for the prompt reply. I also agree that it's nice to be able to just press "Use suggested password" in the dropdown. Instead of adding the settings to the dropdown menu, maybe they could be added to the extension's settings page? Or perhaps the settings selected for the pop-up password generator could be also applied to the drop down generator as well. Anyways, thank you for taking my feedback into account. I look forward to future updates!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

We'll have to see what Mitch and team can do here :smile:

• Upgeya
    Upgeya
    Community Member

I'm finding the password generator invoked via the dropdown menu (associated with a webform entry) is pretty useless to me, as it OFTEN generates passwords that are incompatible with website limitations - usually too long. I want the parameters for this incredibly basic function to be configurable in one place and consistent across the (Firefox) browser add-on. Since it is already configurable in the browser’s add-on toolbar popup, that would be as good a place as any.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm not sure I follow. As you hinted, the Password Generator feature itself, in the 1Password X toolbar menu, is configurable:

It also remembers your last settings. Why not use that? The purpose of the Suggested Passwords feature is to have a quick option which gives you a password with a single click which is compatible with most sites. I'm sorry to hear that the ones you've happened to visit recently have weird restrictions in place, as that frustrates me when it happens too. But that's inherently not going to be a quick thing to deal with no matter what, since you'd need to change some settings, so I'm not sure cluttering up -- and slowing down -- the inline menu is the right solution. But it's something we'll continue to evaluate with feedback from you and everyone else. Thank you! :)

• FogCityNative
    FogCityNative
    Community Member

I will not use the password generator in 1Password X because it is not configurable to my liking. I would add my vote that the preferences for password generation are the same in all instances and that 1Password X inherits the settings from the app.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@FogCityNative: What are the settings you would like us to add to the Password Generator? I can't promise anything, but we can certainly consider your request -- if you tell us. :)

• FogCityNative
    FogCityNative
    Community Member
    edited March 2019

In addition to all the choices present in the existing 1P pop-up Password Generator being replicated in 1PX (or inherited so those preferences are universal) . . .

I'd like to see these preferences added to the word based section of ALL Password Generators everywhere in the 1Password world on all platforms:

Preferences desired:

Add a random number before or after one of the generated words ON/OFF
    Capitalize one of the generated words ON/OFF
    Add a random symbol (!@#$%^&*()+) before or after the word sequence ON/OFF

I'd like to see what other users think, but the above would solve my problem of having to place the cursor in the generated password and add the number, then move the cursor and backspace and type a Capital letter.

For example, one user said he would like memorable words that are not in the dictionary like rocketman or others I cannot think of. Maybe weird names? Is Ringo or Elton in the dictionary? Goofball and slimeball are in the dictionary. We don't use wanker here but they do in the UK. He had some examples in his post. FortKnight?

I have posted elsewhere in detail why I prefer word-based passwords.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@FogCityNative: Thanks for clarifying. They're things we'll continue to evaluate with feedback from everyone. The security benefit to adding those options would be minuscule, especially compared to the added difficulty of remembering such a password (which is why the "memorable passwords" Wordlist exists in the first place), but you're right that it could help meet some websites odd password requirements. At 14K+, I don't really think we are in dire need of more words, but it's certainly possible we could add some in the future if there are others that are suitable. "Rocketman" is not in there currently. :)

This discussion has been closed.