Can't open 1Password when accessing from other iOS apps

matthavard
matthavard
Community Member

I have a new iPhone, running iOS 12.1.
I have a subscription account with 1Password (converted from standalone 4-6 months ago), and I'm running version 7.2.2.

• First, I moved all content over from the old iPhone, by restoring from iCloud backup of the former iPhone.
  • 1Password asked for my master password, but refused to accept it.
  • I deleted and reinstalled the app, and was able to log into my 1Password account from within the app.
  • When I tried to retrieve password information from within any other app (Facebook, web browser, etc) 1Password refused to accept my password
  • I can log into the 1Password.com account, and use my password to retrieve login data from 1Password 7.2.1 on my MacOS device without issue.
  • I eventually wiped my iPhone and set it up as a new device.
  • Installed 1Password 7.2.2 (the first and only non-Apple app), and I was able to log in, set up 1Password to use FaceID, etc.
  • Installed the Facebook app
  • Attempted to retrieve the Facebook login data from within the Facebook app, using the "passwords" button at the top of the iOS keyboard
  • FaceID, although I set it up for 1Password (including in iOS settings), is never offered as an authentication option
  • 1Password refused to accept my password
  • If I close the iOS 1Password app (by swiping up or restarting the iPhone) and open the app from scratch, FaceID is never offered as an authentication option

Any suggestions?

1Password Version: 7.2.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @matthavard

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. If you launch 1Password and select Settings > Vaults. Do you see a vault called "Primary" there? Also please check if Settings > Advanced > Security > Always show lock screen for Password AutoFill is enabled.

Ben

• matthavard
    matthavard
    Community Member

There is no Primary vault, although one is visible from 1Password on my MacOS device. It shows to be stored in iCloud.

Settings > Advanced > Security > Always show lock screen for Password AutoFill is NOT enabled.

• There is no Primary vault, although one is visible from 1Password on my MacOS device. It shows to be stored in iCloud.

Is there a reason you still have that vault on your Mac? Once you've migrated to 1Password.com that is redundant. The migration process should have prompted you to delete that. When it exists, 1Password unlocks using the Master Password for that vault, rather than your 1Password.com Master Password, which is a potential source of confusion.

Settings > Advanced > Security > Always show lock screen for Password AutoFill is NOT enabled.

Please try enabling that.

Ben

• matthavard
    matthavard
    Community Member
    • No reason. I think I remember deleting it when converting to the 1Password.com account, but maybe not. I just attempted to delete it from the MacOS device (delete, type in vault name, delete), and 1Password told me it could not be deleted.

• In iOS, I enabled Settings > Advanced > Security > Always show lock screen for Password AutoFill, but there was no change—it asked for a password (which did not work) and did not offer FaceID.

• You may need to use 1Password > Preferences > Advanced > Uncheck allow creation of vaults outside 1Password.com accounts in order to remove the old Primary vault on the Mac.

If you open 1Password on iOS and select Settings > Security > Lock Now does the Master Password work?

Ben

• Also: Do you have spaces in your Master Password? I just discovered an instance myself where it may appear 1Password is not accepting the Master Password because it isn't registering the space bar presses. This appears to be due to the "swipe up for home" bar partially covering the spacebar.

Ben

• matthavard
    matthavard
    Community Member

Thanks for the replies, Ben.

I think I have solved the issue.

• 1Password on my MacOS device was not allowing me to delete the Primary vault. Turns out it was version 7.2.1, and when I updated to 7.2.2, I was able to delete that vault and reset 1Password (in MacOS) to "expect" and accept my 1Password.com master password by default. My old Primary vault in iCloud is no longer a factor.

• I got FaceID working correctly on the iOS device—I turned on "Lock on Exit" under the Settings/Security page in the app (read that on the forum).

• Now, when I open 1Password on the iOS device, it expects and accepts the 1password.com master password, and FaceID works, even from within other applications.

• Lookup of passwords is working fine from 3 out of 4 apps I have tried. The 4th needs further investigation, which I will do tonight (maybe some issue with my entry).

No spaces in my Master Password

• Great! Thanks for the update. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.