iPad 1Password keeps prompting to use passwords *it* has chosen

Jeff Laing
Jeff Laing
Community Member

Whenever I try to edit a password (and my employer requires me to do this every three months), 1Password is getting in my face about it, (though I suspect it is IOS, not 1Password). It says "iPad created a strong password for this app" and says it will e storing it in the iCloud Keychain, and offers the choice of using its generated password, or using my own.

When I push use my own, it completely clears the password entry field which is a pain in the ass. Using completely random passwords each time is not viable, so I edit using a pattern that is safe enough for my needs - I'm not interested in discussing that, regardless, the EDIT function is toasted - I might be editing because of a typo - same characteristic applies. Note, these passwords are not limited to 'web login' - I store Oracle database passwords, etc in here.

After committing, it asks if I want to store that in the Cloud. This is all clearly iOS screwing with me, not 1Password, but sadly I think its your problem to solve...

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Jeff Laing

Please try these instructions from this guide:

To stop iCloud Keychain from asking to save your passwords, deselect iCloud Keychain. Then you’ll always know passwords are saved in 1Password, without any confusion.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Jeff Laing
    Jeff Laing
    Community Member

It's not just that it prompts to save them. It deliberately deletes the previous value even when I say I want to use it, prior to letting me edit.

I can see where disabling the autofill makes the symptom go away - but I don't see it fixing the problem.

The thing is, I use password fields for sensitive stuff that I don't want visible in the UI (to the shoulder-surfer), like bank-account numbers, pins, security question answers, etc where 'auto-suggested-new-values' are completely inappropriate. It seems to me like editing in 1Password is the one place where you should be working hard to disable 'auto-fill' - it is not a form to be filled in for logging in.

• @Jeff Laing

As you alluded to in your original post... this is an iOS 12 feature. The only thing I can really suggest here is disabling the iCloud Keychain portion of Password AutoFill. We don't have the ability to selectively opt-out of Password AutoFill within 1Password.

Thanks.

Ben

• Jeff Laing
    Jeff Laing
    Community Member

Surely you must be telling UIKit that the data entry field is "a password" and that is what is triggering iOS to step in and "help".
    I would think that an alternate text-entry widget that still did the masking would solve the problem.

Even if you didn't, as I say, it is the discarding of the original value that kills me - 1Password could be able to distinguish that the value has been nulled without the keyboard being invoked and restore the previous value.

• Surely you must be telling UIKit that the data entry field is "a password" and that is what is triggering iOS to step in and "help".

Correct.

I would think that an alternate text-entry widget that still did the masking would solve the problem.

I'll pass the suggestion along to development but I believe in doing so we'd lose some of the security protections offered by iOS for password fields, which I doubt is something we're willing to give up if that is indeed the case.

Even if you didn't, as I say, it is the discarding of the original value that kills me - 1Password could be able to distinguish that the value has been nulled without the keyboard being invoked and restore the previous value.

Does disabling iCloud Keychain not resolve this? If it does I'm not sure I understand the reluctance to do that -- especially considering 1Password can be a data provider for Password AutoFill. If I'm missing something here please help me understand.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.