Can't migrate my old Dropbox-based 1Password 6 vault into my 1Password account

Options
brianriceca
brianriceca
Community Member

I'm a longtime 1P customer with hundreds of items in a Dropbox-based vault, which I accessed from Mac, Windows, and iOS clients. I took the plunge recently and (tried to) upgrade to 1Password 7 so that I can get access to the Families plan. But I am stumped by how to import my data from my old iPassword 6 vault. And the documentation seems to be sending me in circles. I'm very frustrated.

I keep looking for some kind of obvious way to point 1Password 7 at my vault in Dropbox and tell it "Import all the data from this vault!" But there doesn't seem to be a way to do that. Instead, the documentation seems to say that I should sign into one of the native apps on a machine that can see the Dropbox based vault and add an account from there to my 1Password account. So I have done that, but my iOS 1Password 7 client doesn't learn any new passwords in the process. Therefore the 1Password iOS application is useless to me. Help!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• brianriceca
    brianriceca
    Community Member
    Options

To clarify that: the native 1Password client that can actually see the old vault is the Mac one. It is version 7.2.2. The iOS client that can't see any contents from the old vault is version 7.2.2 as well.

• brianriceca
    brianriceca
    Community Member
    Options

OK, I just found File> Import > 1Password Keychain and ran through the import process. But still no new passwords in my iOS app.

• brianriceca
    brianriceca
    Community Member
    Options

In the Mac 1Password app, I see now that I have 4 vaults, a "Personal" and a "Shared". So apparently at some point in this process I created two otherwise identical 1Password accounts. How can I tell the difference between these two accounts? How can I tell which is the one I paid for?

• brianriceca
    brianriceca
    Community Member
    Options

OK, I temporarily renamed one of the accounts using 1Password.com, which allowed me to see which was which. By an amazing coincidence, the account I migrated my old Dropbox vault to is also the account I paid for a subscription on. Great! Now I only have one account and two vaults on both the Mac and iOS 1Password apps. Great! Unfortunately, I have two copies of everything. Ugh! So now I am hunting for a way to purge duplicates in bulk.

• brianriceca
    brianriceca
    Community Member
    Options

In the Mac app, I found Help > Tools > Clean Up Duplicate Items. That is kinda weird to have Tools under the Help menu, but whatevs. I eventually figured out that the reason why Clean Up Duplicate Items was grayed out was that I have to first select the vault from which I wanted to purge duplicates. That worked, and the purge even properly synced to the iOS app. Whew! I think I am up and running. Here's hoping this account of my experiences helps someone else.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@brianriceca - I'm sorry for the delay in our response; we've been working through a bit of a backlog lately. If you had four vaults, two Personal and two Shared, in 1Password 7 for Mac, then it sounds like you must have created two separate 1Password Families accounts. I'd check to make sure you're not getting billed for both of them, and delete whichever of them you don't want.

I'm glad you found the File > Import feature; if your previous data was in the quite-old Agile Keychain format, then you would have needed to import/convert that, even if you were staying with standalone 1Password instead of migrating to a 1password.com membership. Agile Keychain format has been deprecated formally in 1Password 7 for Mac, but the "1Password Keychain" option in File > Import should have worked to import your data. Let me know if you're unable to find/delete your other account (if indeed you do have two), or if you run into any other issues. And don't forget to save your Emergency Kit (from the correct account!). Cheers. :)

This discussion has been closed.