Mac Safari 1password browser extension is visible but dead

Options
emsko
emsko
Community Member

Installed 1password 6 on a new MacBook Air. Installed the Safari browser extension which appeared on the toolbar. When I click on the icon nothing happens. It is not grayed out. It depresses as usual when I click on it. But nothing happens. No pop up menu, no error messages. Nothing. Tried uninstalling the extension, rebooting computer, reinstalling the extension then rebooting the computer again. Did not fix the problem. Thanks for any help.,

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.3
OS Version: 10.14
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• emsko
    emsko
    Community Member
    Options

Did some more checking. Discovered that 1password had not been added to Automation in the Mojave Privacy settings but had been added to Full Disk Access and Accessibility. Also realized I did not need to download and buy another license but could have re-downloaded the App Store version from my purchases. So I completely uninstalled version 6.8.9, uninstalled the extension, rebooted my MacBook Air installed version 6.8.8 rebooted my MacBook Air, and installed the extension. Did not help. The extension icon is still dead though it depresses when I click and 1password still does not appear in Privacy Automation.

• emsko
    emsko
    Community Member
    Options

Also 1password has hijacked my homepage. Despite my clearing all history and rebooting the 1password introduction page which was triggered the first time I hit the extension icon is now indelibly hardwired as my homepage.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@emsko - I'm sorry for the trouble. We have an issue currently with the Safari authorization prompt page on our website, which is what 1Password calls the first time you try to connect the extension. We hope to have it resolved soon, so hang in there for a bit, and thanks for your patience.

• emsko
    emsko
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Lars. Relieved to know you are aware of the problem and are working on it. Very much appreciate your fast response.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@emsko - you're quite welcome, and apologies again for the inconvenience. If it helps, we DID find a workaround for now, which is to open a Private Browsing window, and then try it again -- this will work, and once you've done it once, you won't need to do it again, unless you've got some kind of cache cleaner installed (which you should turn off until we get this resolved). Give that a try, and let us know how you get on. :)

• emsko
    emsko
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, Lars. The private browsing window worked like a charm!! Problem solved. I appreciate your help.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@emsko - glad to hear it! Make sure not to clear your cache out for a few days or so -- I can't say when we'll have this issue addressed comprehensively, but if you clear your cache regularly, then you'll have to re-authorize Safari in this way again. Have a great rest of your week. :)

• gerrie
    gerrie
    Community Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

If I understand this thread, I have the same problem but the solution is not clear to me. I am on a 1Password 7 Family subscription, with app version 7.2.2. I installed Mojave yesterday and had 1Password install the Safari extension. The extension button shows in Safari, and in the main Mac menu bar, but neither one does anything. I opened a Private Browsing window, and tried to use the extension—nothing happened. Still with the Private Browsing window open I went to Preferences, disabled the extension, re-enabled the extension, and it still doesn't work. I tried to uninstall the extension, but Safari says I have to uninstall the whole app to remove the extension.

Is that what I have to do? Uninstall the app, reinstall, then have a Private Browsing window open when I reinstall the extension?

• gerrie
    gerrie
    Community Member
    Options

Yesterday's problem is solved with update to 10.14.1. I was unaware that System software updates have apparently moved from the App Store to System Preferences. After the Mojave install, I went to the App Store, and there were no updates available, so I assumed the installer had given me 10.14.1. I thought I had also confirmed this from the Apple menu "About this Mac", but I must not have. This morning I opened System Preferences for something unrelated, and there was the notice that 10.14.1 was waiting for me.

Both menu bar and Safari extensions now seem fine.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gerrie - glad to hear things worked out for you; let us know if you have any further questions. :)

• corysfo
    corysfo
    Community Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

Hey @Lars i'm having this same issue, but the Private Browsing workaround didn't seem to work for me. Any other things i can try? :) i'm on 1Password 7.2.3b2, Safari Extension 4.7.3, Safari 12.0.1, macOS 10.14.1.

i click on the 1Password icon in Safari and it takes me to the Prompt (it switches to 1Password 7 successfully, but doesn't open it if it's not already open), where i click on the request to open 1Password 7, then it says "Couldn’t connect to 1Password".

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@corysfo - I'm sorry for the trouble. You may need to try uninstalling the 4.7.3.90 extension first (from within Safari), then restarting your Mac and trying again. When you restart, see if the 7.2.3.BETA-2 extension is visible, and if not, try un/re-installing 1Password 7 for Mac itself. Let me know how that works for you.

• corysfo
    corysfo
    Community Member
    Options

Oh weird, i had just installed 7.2.3b2 this morning, and i'd put my Mac to sleep about 20 minutes ago to go to a different building, and now i have two Safari 1Password extensions. i removed the 4.7.3 one, and this new beta one works properly. Woohoo!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@corysfo - great! Make sure you don't go installing new extensions any more in Safari, because as of version 7.2, the app itself will install (and update) your extension. :)

This discussion has been closed.