Why the difference in behaviour in iOS 12 on iPad vs iPhone?

lucaberta
lucaberta
Community Member

I have been a happy 1Password user on macOS and iOS for many years, and have particularly come to appreciate the iOS 12 feature which allows autocomplete from within iOS itself, a great bonus!

One of the things that I cannot seem to understand though is the difference in behaviour between iPad and iPhone on iOS 12.

Previously I could use TouchID to unlock the master password on both devices after a restart without any issues. Now that I have iOS 12, there is a clearly different behaviour between the two, running the same exact iOS version, the iPad is a Pro 9.7" while the iPhone is an SE.

Here is the iPad Pro:

Here is the iPhone SE:

Why has the difference in behaviour been introduced on the iPhone SE? Why can I still rely on TouchID on the iPad Pro after a restart, and not on the iPhone SE?

Luckily I know the master password well, as I type it often on macOS, but when I first noticed I was on a trip just after installing iOS 12, and I was caught by surprise by the missing familiar TouchID icon on 1Password's app screen after rebooting the iPhone.

Many thanks,

Luca

1Password Version: 7.2.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 12
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited November 2018

Hi @lucaberta

Thanks for the kind words. It sounds like you have 1Password > Settings > Advanced > Security > Require Master Password set differently on each device. Setting that to 'never' on both should achieve the desired behavior. That said, Touch ID is not a replacement for the Master Password and should not be treated as such. Typing the Master Password on occasion can help develop muscle memory so that the Master Password is remembered, which is critical. If you're regularly typing it on macOS this may not be as much of a concern.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• lucaberta
    lucaberta
    Community Member
    edited November 2018

Thanks @Ben, your suggestion is precisely what I was missing!

Now both devices work the same way, and as you say since I also use 1Password on my Mac and don’t have TouchID on it, I am forced to use the Master Password on it all the time, so muscle memory is not the issue.

The issue is rather typing the Master Password on a tiny keyboard on the iPhone, and since it’s a long one, I often would do errors and would waste a lot of time unnecessarily.

The real question now is, why did the iPhone SE change setting in the iOS 12 upgrade without me realizing it, and the iPad Pro did not? It’s not really important to know the answer, but it’s interesting food for though for you folks maybe!

Many thanks,

Luca

• Thanks for the update Luca. I'm glad to hear that helped. If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.