1Password 7.2.2 Safari extension fails

Options
Xipper
Xipper
Community Member

The 7.2.2 update of 1P broke the Safari extension, it appears that it failed to update the extension to 7.2.2. The extensions seems to report that it is 7.1.2 and cannot open the database files as the version is wrong.

I cannot remove the extension, apparently. So how is a user to resolve this "magically managed" software, seems your new method of doing extensions has some extreme flaws.

Error:
```1Password failed to open database because of the following problem: 'Updated Version Required'.

Additional information:
2018-11-15 23:28:20 +0000
Error Domain=com.agilebits.onepassword.b5client Code=1206 "Updated Version Required" UserInfo={NSLocalizedRecoverySuggestion=Please update your copy of 1Password to its latest version., NSLocalizedDescription=Updated Version Required, NSLocalizedFailureReason=Your saved data appears to be newer than this version of 1Password can use.}```

1Password Version: 7.2.2
Extension Version: 7.1.2
OS Version: 10.14.1
Sync Type: 1Password service

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Xipper: I think Apple is aware of some things that need to be improved with Safari App Extensions, but I'd encourage you to reach out to them just in case you've discovered something new. But just to clarify, it can't "fail to update the extension". As of version 7.2 and Safari 12, the Safari App Extension is built into 1Password itself. The only way it wouldn't update is if the app didn't either. So you can probably get it working by quitting Safari, Trashing 1Password, restarting your Mac, and installing a fresh copy of 1Password:

https://1password.com/downloads/

So long as something in Safari isn't hung up or corrupted, you should be in good shape. If not, Apple would be able to help you repair Safari. Let me know how it turns out! :)

• @Xipper,

The extension doesn't open any database files. That you're seeing that message tells me that you possibly have a copy of 7.1.2 in addition to the 7.2.2 copy.

• Xipper
    Xipper
    Community Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

You can close this, apparently what had happened was that my 1Password app was installed in ~/Applications but when it self-updated to 7.2.x it installed into /Applications, so 2 copies existed. And I am guessing that since the 7.1.2 version in ~/Applications existed "first" that it was the one that provided the extension. However it had restarted with the 7.2.2 version in /Applications and that copy was set to auto-start on login.

Of course it begs the question, does the in-app self update have a fixed location that it expects in /Applications and doesn't allow being installed into ~/Applications? Should it allow a user to control where it gets installed and for updates to re-use that location?

• @Xipper,

If you want to be able to use any of the extensions then /Applications is non-optional. if you're not using the extensions then it can be put just about anywhere.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Xipper: Indeed, just to clarify and expand on what Rudy mentioned in case it helps you or anyone else, both 1Password and the browser need to be installed in the system /Applications folder for them to communicate, due to sandboxing.

This discussion has been closed.