1Password mini is not mini, and Watchtower banners are intrusive

Options
Patrick Waugh
Patrick Waugh
Community Member
edited November 2018 in Mac

Guys, like many applications, you broke what was perfection. STOP trying to improve what doesn't need improving!

I now completely hate 1Password's UI/UX, and want my old version back. You stopped following Apple's UI/UX guide, the very thing that makes MAC apps MAC, and it depended upon by ALL Apple users.

Stop this craziness, and get back to basics. I don't want all this fancy stuff, I just want it to work reliably like my MAC. I already work 10 hours a day, and don't have time for re-learning your program every week because you decide to change stuff!

Your program is now virtually unusable for me. You changed the interface so much, that you lost me, and make just nothing but frustrated with you.

I want version 6 back. Enough with this new garbage UI/UX.

Patrick Waugh, M.A.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Patrick Waugh ,

First, I want to thank you for taking the time to write in. Writing in shows to us that you care about the usability of the product and want it to be better, and we appreciate that.

Also, we're flattered that you felt that version 6 was perfect, but as you probably know, not everyone agrees. We do have many customers that do want the interface to evolve over time. That doesn't mean those two things are contradicting. We can certainly investigate things that are perceived to be an improvement by some, and a step backward by others. For example, we have received quite a bit of feedback on the 1Password mini window (the one that appears when you click in the menu bar or your browser) and are planning some changes there.

We also do strive to follow Apple's HIG (Human Interface Guidelines) wherever we can, just as we strive to use new macOS native features when they arise. So if we got something wrong there, please let us know.

Please feel free to list any changes you felt were a step backward. No matter if they're large ones, or some tiny things that may make a big difference, we would love to hear about them.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• Hi @Patrick Waugh

Thanks again for taking the time to provide feedback. The mini window was designed, in part, to mimic Spotlight. You will note that Spotlight has no x button to close either. It auto closes when you click outside of the window too. It's purpose is similar - bring up the window, quickly search or access what you need, and select it. Then the window closes. We actually did take direction from Apple there, as we try to do with most of the UI/UX. When you want a persistent window, we recommend either using the main app window, or detaching an item window for editing a single item.

Regardless, you are not the first to comment that the mini window is not, in fact mini. We are currently looking into addressing that.

And finally to address your issue about re-used passwords. One of 1Password responsibilities is to warn users when there may be doing something unsafe. And while you have multiple items that have the same password on purpose, that doesn't mean other users don't. We have to consider all of our customers here. But, we do acknowledge, that means those that need this help and those that don't. So we are looking at doing something about the banner in question.

Thanks again for sending us feedback. We'll refer to it when making improvements in the future and I hope that you find those improvements helpful.

Regards,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.