To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Question about "Give a free year of 1Password"

Options
rlf
rlf
Community Member

I'm a 1Password 7 subscriber and received an email today saying I can give one free year of 1P to family members. If I give this gift to a family member, does it mean that my personal subscription will be converted to a family subscription that will include them in it because that's not what I would want to do. What I'd like is to give this gift to a family member but keep my own separate personal account. I don't want to share my account with them. I want them to have their own separate account. Then, if they like it, they can retain their separate account after the first year. Please tell me how this works. Thanks and Happy Holidays.

1Password Version: 7.1.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• brian512
    brian512
    Community Member
    Options

I have a related question (2 actually, wasn’t sure if they should be a separate post or not):

1. If I gift it to someone who already has a 1P subscription, can they use that to add on an additional year to their current subscription?
    2. If I currently subscribe to 1P for Families, I believe I read that I can gift a 1 year individual or a family subscription to someone else. If that correct? (Want to confirm the families part, or if it’s limited to individual only)

Thanks!

• brian512
    brian512
    Community Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

Duplicate

• thrint
    thrint
    Community Member
    Options

And when I sign into my business account there is nothing to click on to send the free year!

• Cubic
    Cubic
    Community Member
    Options

"This promotion can't be applied to your account at the moment. Contact our customer support team to find out why."
    I got this message, what happens to my account?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rlf: Thanks for getting in touch! Glad to hear you're excited about sharing this with your loved ones. :)

If I give this gift to a family member, does it mean that my personal subscription will be converted to a family subscription that will include them in it because that's not what I would want to do.

Nope. It's a voucher for a whole new 1Password Families membership for one year.

What I'd like is to give this gift to a family member but keep my own separate personal account. I don't want to share my account with them. I want them to have their own separate account. Then, if they like it, they can retain their separate account after the first year. Please tell me how this works. Thanks and Happy Holidays.

That's exactly the intention, so it sounds like you're already on your way! Happy holidays to you too! Thanks for wanting to share the gift of 1Password! :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

If I gift it to someone who already has a 1P subscription, can they use that to add on an additional year to their current subscription?

@brian512: No. You can send them the gift so they get the first year free when signing up for a 1Password Famiilies membership. It's essentially an extended free trial -- very extended. :)

If I currently subscribe to 1P for Families, I believe I read that I can gift a 1 year individual or a family subscription to someone else. If that correct? (Want to confirm the families part, or if it’s limited to individual only)

Indeed, it's for a 1Password Families membership. We could certainly help them switch to an individual membership instead, but for the first year it sort of doesn't matter, as the price is the same: free! ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

And when I sign into my business account there is nothing to click on to send the free year!

@thrint: This promotion is for families and individuals, not companies. Sorry! You do already get free 1Password Families accounts for everyone part of the 1Password Business membership though. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

"This promotion can't be applied to your account at the moment. Contact our customer support team to find out why." I got this message, what happens to my account?

@Cubic: Shoot us an email at sales@1password.com and post the Support ID you receive here. I'll be happy to look into it. :)

• Cubic
    Cubic
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty
    Here is the support id #YWC-46546-923

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks! I'll get back to you there. :)

ref: YWC-46546-923

• pigloo9
    pigloo9
    Community Member
    Options

I've sent a gift to a sibling. and they have received the acknowledgement email. Is there a time limit for them to finish off the sign-up process? Or can they get to it at any time (of course assuming it's done within the next 12 months)?

• rlf
    rlf
    Community Member
    Options

I don't mean to complain, but how do I stop receiving notifications for this question thread? My question was adequately answered a couple of days ago. Thanks.

• RLToombs
    RLToombs
    Community Member
    Options

We're on the Pro plan--is that ineligible for the promotion? It's confusing because the promotion reads that if we "have an active subscription into 2019" we're eligible, and we do indeed have a subscription good till August 2019. And we think the product is fantastic, we'd happily share with several of the people in our lives. Thanks.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

Is there a limit on how many of these I can send out? I have so many friends I would love to give them a free year to try it out.

• Ben
    Options

@rlf You can edit your notification preferences here:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/profile/preferences/

Ben

• Ben
    Options

@pigloo9 I'm not aware of a time limit but I'd certainly encourage you to encourage them to accept soon if they intend to do so.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

@RLToombs If you're on a business plan please reach out to our business team at business@1password.com to see what promotions are available for your account. Thanks!

Ben

• Ben
    Options

@prime Everyone gets a handful to gift. After all, I don't want you to have to play favorites (too much, anyway :wink: )

Ben

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

Ben

@prime Everyone gets a handful to gift. After all, I don't want you to have to play favorites (too much, anyway :wink: )

That is awesome!

• Ben
    Options

:+1:

Ben

• Finke03
    Finke03
    Community Member
    Options

Can the person which receives the gift use it with a 1Password.eu account or is this promotion only useable with 1Password.com account?

Another question: I switched to 1PW Families and I‘m still in trial. Can I make use of this gift?

• Ben
    Options

@Finke03

Can the person which receives the gift use it with a 1Password.eu account or is this promotion only useable with 1Password.com account?

If the invitation is sent from a 1Password.com account it can be used on 1Password.com. This is true for 1Password.eu and 1Password.ca as well. The instances of 1Password don't communicate with each other, so 1Password.com has no idea if you have an account on 1Password.ca.

Another question: I switched to 1PW Families and I‘m still in trial. Can I make use of this gift?

You would need an active subscription in order to take advantage. If you need further assistance with this I'd recommend reaching out to our team at suppport+thanksgiving@1password.com

Thanks.

Ben

• Finke03
    Finke03
    Community Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

Hi Ben,

thanks a lot for response.
    It‘s a little bit disappointing for me, because I‘m an absolutely 1Password Fan and longtime user. After struggling a long period of time to switch to a 1PW subscription and moving all my items into your cloud, I signed up 2 weeks ago.
    Now you introduce this kind of benefit for new 1PW Account users, so that I feel a little bit disadvantage.
    Do you think that your Sales Team has the possibility to provide me some benefit as well?
    If not: do you know how long this promotion will be active, so that some of my friends can make use of the benefit after my trial is over and I‘m able to send gifts?

• Ben
    Options

It can't hurt to reach out to our team at support+thanksgiving@1password.com and ask. :)

Ben

• d_bobby
    d_bobby
    Community Member
    Options

If I already have a Family plan subscription with all 5 user slots occupied, can I use this promo to invite a 6th family member for the first year free?

• DougA
    DougA
    Community Member
    Options

I originally purchase in 2015 from the Apple App Store. How do I give a free year to someone since I believe that I cannot log on via the website and do not have a secret key?

Doug

• Ben
    Options

Hi @d_bobby,

This promo does not work to add additional members to an existing account, no, sorry.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

Hi @DougA,

The abiliity to give a year of 1Password free is open to customers who have purchased 1Password 7 as a standalone license or have a currently active 1Password subscription membership. It would not apply to a purchase from the App Store in 2015. If you'd like to upgrade so that you can take advantage of the promotion please see this guide:

Upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac

Ben

• yashshah7197
    yashshah7197
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @Ben,

I registered for a new family account using the Thanksgiving promo one of my friends sent me. I also have an individual account with the same email I used for the new Family account. However, I'm gonna be the only one using it since none of my friends and family are gonna be using it so I'd like to convert the family account to an individual one. I would've deleted the individual account myself but iCloud Keychain changed the stored password to the one I used for the Family account so I don't have access to my individual account. Can you please send me an account deletion link for my individual account so I can then convert my Family account to an individual account. I have no important data on it yet so deleting it should be fine for me. I mailed support yesterday but haven't got reply yet.

Here's my ticket id - #TPT-66687-349

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
    Yash Shah

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

@Ben

Is this for a single account only? Or can the person select a family account?

This is such a great idea, because the 30 day trial is too short IMO. When I 1st got 1Password, I didn’t like it at 1st, but after going back to it over a month later, I love it now.

Thanks again for this amazing Idea!

This discussion has been closed.