Feature Request: Ability to have website specific usernames

Hi,
I've another feature request for you:
As I'm filling my password store with more and more information I experienced the fact that some services (especially Microsoft's ones) use different "usernames" for the same account.
For example the Azure/login.microsoftonline.com services use the UserPrincipalName but the "older" onprem services like the Exchange Admin Center strictly uses domain\samAccountName.
This would force me to create two seperate items with the same password, where then watchtower cries about..

So I thought it would be really great if 1P could have site/application (for the future auto-fill function) specific usernames and could select which should be filled in :chuffed:

One more time thanks a lot for your great work :+1:

~lumarel

1Password Version: 7.2.581
Extension Version: 4.7.3.1
OS Version: Windows 10 1803 17134.407
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hey, @lumarel! That's an interesting idea. I can see some potential issues there, like knowing what to update when – especially given Microsoft's tendencies to vary the domains for their services a fair bit – but I'd be happy to pass the suggestion along to the team. For a number of reasons, having a different Login item when anything other than the domain of the site changes works a lot better right now than anything else. If you have the option to have the service save your username so it's not fillable (like Google does for Gmail for example), that would probably be my suggestion for the moment. So long as the domain(s) match your Login item, 1Password will be happy to fill just your password in those cases and it would save you from needing the username to be fillable allowing you to save as many as you need just "for the record." I know I do this for my MS developer account, so perhaps the same is an option for other services.

As for Watchtower, there are currently a few cases in which Watchtower will whine despite your genuine and good reasons for doing something its upset about. We're exploring options to deal with these cases that will work well across platforms. Ultimately, we'll probably end up with it notifying you when you don't want it to in some cases, because we are going to prioritize giving y'all a heads up when there's a question as to whether or not you need it. That said, we do understand it's a bit overzealous at the moment in some folks' view and we're definitely open to making changes to address this in scenarios where we can do so in manner that makes sense universally.

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

Hi @bundtkate,
    I can't deny that such feature would need some more work, so it doesn't create more issues than it helps. Due to the fact that some of these websites are internal ones it wouldn't be able to dump then in an algorithm or so, more I meant to customize it myself as a field in the item.

I didn't really think about something like the Google (Gmail/Tumblr/...) login pages, there it would be even more useful to have, lets call them, "conditional fills" :+1:
    And thanks for the great information I didn't even know that there are such attributes.

I think that too, for me if watchtower asks and lets me to set the item on a hidden list would be enough (only after a change it should automatically be removed from there, so you don't miss something wrong), I know there are these special tags, but that's not the beautiful way.
    But if there is a better way which also automatically detects it in the right way, of course that would be better.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed. It's certainly something worth considering, especially since there are a number of potential problems for 1Password users in addition to any benefit it might offer for this specific use case. And either way, we're looking at ways to make Watchtower a bit more flexible, without sacrificing its mandate of notifying us of ways we could improve our security. Thanks for the feedback! :)

This discussion has been closed.