To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Master password does not work to sign into 1password.com to purchase a membership

kvitek
kvitek
Community Member

I have been using 1password for a number of years now with stand alone software. I went to upgrade and downloaded 1password 7. When I try to complete the purchase of a membership it requests my master password. My master password does not work to sign into 1password.com to complete the purchase. What am I to do? Can I go back to 1password 6 or 5 even? I'm totally frustrated!

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.14.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• kvitek
    kvitek
    Community Member

I'm really irritated by the constant requesting of purchasing a membership when using 1password on my Mac. I want to and you won't accept my password!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• kvitek
    kvitek
    Community Member

It is very annoying that I keep getting asked to purchase a membership and when I try to, you won't accept my Master Password. This is frustrating because no one is answering this question or giving any help.

1Password Version: 7
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: 10.14.2
    Sync Type: iCloud

• Hi @kvitek,

Do you have a Login item for 1Password.com in 1Password? If so that should have your 1Password.com Master Password on it.

Ben

• kvitek
    kvitek
    Community Member

I do, and your site won't accept my Master Password. That's the problem.

• @kvitek

Please make sure you're using all of the details (including sign-in address) as they appear on the Login item in 1Password. If you have a "Primary" vault in your 1Password installations then your Master Password for 1Password.com may indeed be different than the one you use to unlock the 1Password apps.

Ben

• kvitek
    kvitek
    Community Member

Yes it probably is different since my Master Password for my vault on my Mac does not work at 1password.com - therefore I am prevented from purchasing a membership because I don't know why it is different and I have no clue as to what it could be. I am requesting instructions on how to go back to 1Password 6 or 5 because I'm done with the frustration and the annoyance of being asked to purchase a membership when I can't.

• @kvitek,

Reverting to an older version of 1Password is not going to resolve the problem. If you'd like what we can help you do is revert to a standalone (non-membership) setup, and then since you do not know your credentials for your membership we can help you delete that. To revert to standalone please see this guide:

How to move your data to a standalone vault to use 1Password without an account

To get the membership deleted please email us at sales@1password.com from the email address associated with your account. When you do you'll get a support ID from BitBot. Please post that ID here. That way if you do ever decide to try membership again you'll be able to create a new account with that email address.

Thanks.

Ben

• kvitek
    kvitek
    Community Member

It was already a standalone account because I could not sign into my 1Password.com account. I've sent the email to sales@1password.com to get the membership deleted. Here's the reply:

Hello there! 👋

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. My human friends have received your message and are working as quickly as possible to get back to you.

In the meantime, be sure check out our awesome knowledgebase:

https://support.1password.com

If you didn't find what you needed there, no worries! We will reply to your email as soon as we can.

For your reference, your support ID is [#QYT-69619-315]. Please include this ID in the subject of any followup emails so I can keep things organized for my carbon-based teammates.

Thanks again for reaching out to us about 1Password. We look forward to getting to know you. 🙂

Cheers!

BitBot
    Your friendly AgileBits robot

• Replied via email. Let's continue the conversation there, please. Thanks!

Ben

ref: QYT-69619-315

• dfd
    dfd
    Community Member

Hi, I have a similar problem. For years I have been running the standalone version, which all works great. I have also have a membership, but until recently have not needed to login. Now trying to install 1password on a new macbook but the master password isn't recognised. I have tried changing it on my Mac, but to no avail. Any help would be much appreciated!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dfd: Changing your Master Password for a local vault ("On my Mac"/"Primary") will have no impact on the Master Password you setup for a 1Password.com account. If you have your account setup in the app too, you may be able to find your 1Password.com credentials saved in a Login item there though. Otherwise you will simply need to remember your Master Password, or you will not be able to access the account you secured with it.

• dfd
    dfd
    Community Member

I have searched everywhere, but cannot find my master password for 1password.com. Can I delete my membership and rejoin?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2018

@dfd: I'll shoot you an email here shortly and we'll go from there.

ref: NZJ-49344-781

• eileeninstpete
    eileeninstpete
    Community Member

Seems we are all having a similar issue with a considerable amount of frustration and lack of real time support. I am very disappointed . I have had this product for years and have recommended to many but this makes me think about staying with this product.

• Thanks for the feedback @eileeninstpete. What can we do to help?

Ben

• eileeninstpete
    eileeninstpete
    Community Member
    edited November 2018

I am able to log in on my iphone and have both a primary and personal account. I believe I purchased a membership at the end of June this year. I was billed 35.88 reference [removed]. I think the trouble began when I downloaded 7. My master no master password no longer works. I did back up both of my accounts so I have no issue just starting again if I can import those, but it seems like I need my master for those as well. However, as I indicated, I can still see everything on my iphone. I have been struggling with this for hours....

• @eileeninstpete

Having both is likely what has caused the confusion here. The "Primary" vault is a non-membership vault, meaning it isn't associated with and does not sync via your membership. When an installation of 1Password has a Primary vault present it unlocks using the Master Password of that vault, not your 1Password.com Master Password. It is entirely possible (and sounds likely to be the case here) that these Master Passwords are different. This is one of the main reasons we recommend deleting the Primary vault once you've migrated your data to 1Password.com.

If you can unlock 1Password on your iPhone please see if there is a Login item on there for 1Password.com and if there is if it has the correct Master Password for your membership account on it.

Please let me know how it turns out.

Ben

• eileeninstpete
    eileeninstpete
    Community Member

Not that works. I did not understand the migration process when I did this which is probably causing the issue.

If I am understanding correctly, my primary is stored on iCloud but does not sync, whereas the “personal” account syncs automatically?

If I have backups on file that open with version 6, dose delete the membership account since I don’t have access and then reopen with new password, then delete primary account and then just import data back in?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@eileeninstpete: Close. The Primary vault is a local vault that is stored only on your device. You can use a 3rd party service like iCloud to keep it in sync with another device, but it's something you have to setup yourself.

The Personal/Private vault is part of 1Password.com, so that any device where you sign into your account, it will be available -- no setup required.

Deleting the account should be a last resort, as that would mean losing any data you've saved there. If you have your Emergency Kit and/or can remember the Master Password you set for the account that would be better. I'll follow up with you via email in case we need to pursue that.

ref: XHE-59796-299

• eileeninstpete
    eileeninstpete
    Community Member

I just sent the report.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks. I'll get back to you via email shortly.

• eileeninstpete
    eileeninstpete
    Community Member

I need another deletion account request email, I was not able to get it within 24 hours.

• Sent. :)

Ben

• samnmimi
    samnmimi
    Community Member

I think i am having the same problem as the person above. I cannot unlock my master password with two accounts. I have sent several email requests but to no response. i think you have a good product, but i really wish that I could get some one to respond in a timely fashion. Hoping you can help here.

• Hi @samnmimi

It appears Jin has already replied to you via email. If you did not receive his message please let me know.

Ben

• samnmimi
    samnmimi
    Community Member

Hi, I had sent a note back indicating that had canceled my subscription and was waiting for my account to be deleted. i am hoping that i don't have to wait another week to have someone respond to my request.

• :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.