To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Trying to change Master Password unfortunately I was locked out of my account......

Options
ekiriaco
ekiriaco
Community Member

Yesterday I created an account in 1password.com and bought the annual subscription.
I downloaded the app 1Password 7 Version 7.2.2 (70202006) for my Mac and after installing it, I transferred my passwords to my account and the app was automatically updated. Everything went well until I realized that the password I was using as a master was not so safe so I desided to change it. I signed in to my 1password account, hit change master password, I gave the old, the new (twice), exit.... reenter to my account and... wrong password....... I can't remember what I have done. Anyway.
The fact now is that I can't sign in to my password.com account because I can't remember the new master password but I can work with the app 1password 7 for mac with the old password. I have already take backup of passwords so I don't care to start from the beginning.
My questions are :
1. How long has it takes to delete my account ? (Is that the write procedure? I've already mentioned the problem to support+urgent@1password.com [#ALF-98746-711] )
2. Should I re-pay the annual subscription? And if not what is the procedure I must follow?

Thank you very much and I'm sorry for any inconvenience.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ekiriaco: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble! Before we go any further, I think it's worth it to keep trying for a bit to get the Master Password right. After all, you entered it twice already to change it. So I think there may be hope. The tips in this guide may help:

https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

Alternatively, if you're part of a 1Password Family or Team, another Owner, Organizer, or Admin can help you recover your account, so you can create a new Secret Key and Master Password:

https://support.1password.com/recovery/#begin-recovery

You can try as many times as you want. You won’t be “locked out”, but you will not be able to access your data unless you can enter the required Master Password correctly. Any inconvenience to us is not what I'm concerned about; I'd rather you not have to start over and lose your data if it can be helped. Let me know how it goes.

Otherwise,

1. How long has it takes to delete my account ? (Is that the write procedure? I've already mentioned the problem to support+urgent@1password.com [#ALF-98746-711] )

That's the right thing to do. I can't give you a specific time frame, as we just go through and respond to everyone's messages in the order in which they are received. But we'll be in touch as soon as we can. In the mean time, if you can manage to get into your account, that could be faster and less troublesome for you.

1. Should I re-pay the annual subscription? And if not what is the procedure I must follow?

Definitely not. If you have a paid subscription, and you do need to start over with a new account, we can give you a prorated credit for it. We can work out the details via email if that proves to be necessary.

ref: ALF-98746-711

• ekiriaco
    ekiriaco
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much Brenty. I will follow your instructions.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

• DDSDS
    DDSDS
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same type of problem. I signed up this evening for an annual subscription and pasted a copy of my Master Password from where I had printed it on Word. But then the Master Password didn't work on 1Password Program to let me get started, nor would it work to let me sign in on 1Password.com.

I haven't put any accounts or passwords into the program yet. I have paid for the subscription with a 30 day free trial tonight but have no access to use the program. Now what? All of my emails to support+urgent@1password.com only get a non-human boilerplate response referring me to articles which don't apply to my problem.

What do I do? I have been receiving emails in which the hacker sends the email FROM ME TO ME and even shows one of my passwords. It is imperative that I have immediate access to the 1Password subscription program to change all of my passwords within the 1Password Program. I am really scared.

• ahl032
    ahl032
    Community Member
    Options

I also have a similar problem that occurred after I paid for a subscription to 1password.com. I elected to use the same password for the membership as I have used on 1Password 6 and now 1Password 7. I have my secret key and email address, but the password will not be accepted when I attempt to log in. I have no variations on this password and I would not have altered it without noting it down. I can log into the Mac 1Password 7 app and into the Android version with the same password so I know it is correct. So I am at a loss as to what to do. Do I delete the account, even though I have access to it via various apps, or what?

• ahl032
    ahl032
    Community Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

Further to my comment above, and apologies for posting twice in succession, I also noticed on my Mac that the main app would not let me sync to the Primary vault in the preferences. I could select the op vault but it would be retained as a setting until I deleted a vault called Personal which had appeared after setting up 1Password 7. And weirdly, the items in the vault appeared to start disappearing as I looked at them. I have really no idea what could have happened.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I have the same type of problem. I signed up this evening for an annual subscription and pasted a copy of my Master Password from where I had printed it on Word. But then the Master Password didn't work on 1Password Program to let me get started, nor would it work to let me sign in on 1Password.com.

@DDSDS: I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with the Master Password you setup. (Un)fortunately AgileBits has neither access to your 1Password data nor the Master Password used to secure it, so this isn't something we can 'reset' for you to help directly. However, please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again:

https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

Alternatively, if you're part of a 1Password Family or Team, another Owner, Organizer, or Admin can help you recover your account, so you can create a new Secret Key and Master Password:

https://support.1password.com/recovery/#begin-recovery

You can try as many times as you want. You won’t be “locked out”, but you will not be able to access your data unless you can enter the required Master Password correctly. In your specific case, since you were copying and pasting for some reason, I wonder if you ended up with a leading/trailing space/linebreak or some strange character (paragraph?) in the Master Password you set. It's worth a try.

I haven't put any accounts or passwords into the program yet. I have paid for the subscription with a 30 day free trial tonight but have no access to use the program.

If you're on the free trial, you haven't paid. We can't help you get into your account if you've locked yourself out, but worst case scenario we can help you start over with a new trial.

Now what? All of my emails to support+urgent@1password.com only get a non-human boilerplate response referring me to articles which don't apply to my problem.

There are no messages in our inbox under this address, but if you'll give me the Support ID you received I'll be happy to look into it for you.

What do I do? I have been receiving emails in which the hacker sends the email FROM ME TO ME and even shows one of my passwords. It is imperative that I have immediate access to the 1Password subscription program to change all of my passwords within the 1Password Program. I am really scared.

I don't know what you're talking about here. What "hacker"? My best guess is that you're getting spam that's using a known password from a website breach. I get those all the time. Relax. All you need to do is change your password on any website where you used that one. Don't get scammed!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I also have a similar problem that occurred after I paid for a subscription to 1password.com. I elected to use the same password for the membership as I have used on 1Password 6 and now 1Password 7. I have my secret key and email address, but the password will not be accepted when I attempt to log in. I have no variations on this password and I would not have altered it without noting it down. I can log into the Mac 1Password 7 app and into the Android version with the same password so I know it is correct. So I am at a loss as to what to do. Do I delete the account, even though I have access to it via various apps, or what?

@ahl032: You will only be able to unlock the 1Password app using the Master Password of the first vault/account you have setup there. And you can only sign into your 1Password.com account if all of the credentials are entered correctly, not just the Master Password.

Further to my comment above, and apologies for posting twice in succession, I also noticed on my Mac that the main app would not let me sync to the Primary vault in the preferences. I could select the op vault but it would be retained as a setting until I deleted a vault called Personal which had appeared after setting up 1Password 7. And weirdly, the items in the vault appeared to start disappearing as I looked at them. I have really no idea what could have happened.

The Primary vault is stored only locally on your device. It is not associated in any way with 1Password.com. I think that's the source of the confusion. It sounds like you setup a different Master Password for your account than you did for that. The Personal vault is part of your 1Password.com account. If you're certain that you cannot sign into your account on 1Password.com in your browser, email us at support@1password.com and we can help you setup a new account. Just post the Support ID you receive here.

• ahl032
    ahl032
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty. Thank you for your reply and your help. You're right, I am confused, really confused, as to which vault I'm using, where it/they are, and which 'master" password I'm supposed to use. I think, however, I've now sorted it out. I have 1Password 7 on my Mac, which has one vault called Personal, which is also accessible at 1password.com, and which I have synced to my Android phone. I assume that this vault is not local on any device and that I can now forget my old master password which I used with 1Password 6 and earlier. Phew. Thanks again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ahl032: Thanks for getting back to me! Indeed, if you have the exact same setup across all your devices -- your account signed in, with only the Personal vault and any others you created through the websites -- you'll just have the one Master Password to use for all of them, and all of your data will automatically stay in sync between them going forward.

Anyway, it sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.