1Password 7 - Many Problems

Options
robanderson
robanderson
Community Member

Hi, I just upgraded from 1Passwod 6 to 1Password 7.
I'm finding lots of problems which I never had with v6.
1. Open & Fill does not work for any of my saved passwords. When I click Open & Fill, it moves the browser window to front, but does nothing else.
2. Saving passwords seems to be hit and miss. I have had to do a forget password twice already as the passwords have not saved - or not saved correctly.
3. The way in which 1Password 7 asks to save passwords is different and a little confusing. It overlays the fields and asks to save before completing the form. The old way of asking once the form was submitted was much cleaner - IMO.
4. When wanting to use 1Password to fill a login form, seems I always have to enter my master password - even if I have the main app running. Furthermore, to do so I have to click Command Period to do so. In v6, the password was entered at the login form and was much quicker and did not open up the mini. I'm not liking the extra steps.
5. When completing a new login, the password generator at the form prompt does not allow you to modify the generated password. Seems we now have to use the password generator at the extension mini. Just another extra step...

All of these things are really annoying to the point where I'm looking to switch password managers.
Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Can you offer any help?

Lastly, do I now not sync my vaults? Is it all done in the cloud now?

Thanks

Rob

1Password Version: 1Paasword 7
Extension Version: 1Password X 1.12.3
OS Version: OSX 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1Password 7 - Many Problems

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry to hear you've been having trouble. I'm sure we can help with that.

From your description though, it doesn't sound like any of this has to do with upgrading to 1Password 7. Rather, it looks like maybe the problem is you've installed 1Password X in your browser, which is completely separate from the app intentionally, for folks to use when they can only use 1Password in their browser. You'll probably get results more like what you're expecting if you install the 1Password desktop extension:

https://support.1password.com/1password-extension/

If you're expecting 1Password to prompt you to save passwords, you'll want to use the desktop extension as I mentioned above. And if you do fail to save a login, but you used 1Password X to fill a generated password, you can find it in the Generator History:

Or, if you used the 1Password desktop extension to fill a generated password, you will have a Password item in your vault:

https://support.1password.com/recover-unsaved-password/

Using the Password Generator in either case though is the same number of steps, so I'm not sure what you're referring to there.

With the desktop extension, it will also use the same security settings as the app, so you will not have to unlock it every time you open your browser (since 1Password X runs entirely in the browser, of course it will need to be unlocked the next time if you had quit the browser).

I haven't experienced this, so I suspect you can get it working too. Can you tell me the exact 1Password and browser versions you're using?

Finally, regarding sync, that will depend on what you're using. If you have s standalone license and local vaults, you will need to configure something like Dropbox or iCloud on your devices to sync the data. If you're using a 1Password.com membership, sync is built in: you only need to sign into your account on each device -- no configuration necessary.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• d108
    d108
    Community Member
    Options

Agree with the above comment...
    Hi, I just upgraded from 1Passwod 6 to 1Password 7.
    I'm finding lots of problems which I never had with v6.
    1. Open & Fill does not work for any of my saved passwords. When I click Open & Fill, it moves the browser window to front, but does nothing else.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@d108: Do you have a license for 1Password for Mac version 7, or a 1Password membership? If not, you'll be in "read only" mode, and filling will not be an option. If you're having some other issue, please let me know the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using so I can help with that. :)

• d108
    d108
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you.,, 10.14.6-Password 7 (7.3.2),Safari, 12:1:2
    I had a stand alone version for many years, but when I upgraded, I purchased by subscription so it would work better. Since then unable to open and fill.

• Thanks @d108. If you open Safari > Preferences > Extensions do you see 1Password listed there? If so could you please click on it? Either way please post a screenshot:

▷ How to take a screenshot

Thanks!

Ben

• d108
    d108
    Community Member
    Options

unable to add 1 Password to extensions. Click on open and nothing happens.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@d108: Can you send a screenshot of what you're seeing? I'm not sure what you mean by "unable to add 1 Password to extensions"; it isn't something you install; it's built into the app.

• d108
    d108
    Community Member
    Options

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@d108: Thank you! That's the problem: Safari isn't loading 1Password at all. I don't know why that happens sometimes. As a first step, double check for and apply any updates in System Preferences > Software Update and apply those and restart you're Mac. Then see if Safari loaded it finally. If not, we'll need to get some diagnostic information from the machine to see what might be going wrong there.

This discussion has been closed.