Website URL matching with multiple URLs

With my website development platform I can create development sites which all fall under the same domain name (ie: site_name.platform.com/admin/login). And I use the one developer login to access all site accounts.
So having "platform.com/admin/login" (without the subdomain) as the website URL in 1Password settings correctly recognises the login for any dev site I have.
However, once the site moves to production, it takes on the clients' domain name (but has the same login path) ie: "custom-domain.com/admin/login"

How can I get 1Password to recognise that these production sites login pages can use the same credentials?
I don't want to have to add every new custom domain/URL into the password settings each time (ending up with hundreds of URLs).

Currently, I've used just the login path "/admin/login" and a wildcard "*/admin/login" but these don't work.

Any thoughts? is this possible?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: macOS Mojave 10.14
Sync Type: Google Drive

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @logopogo,

The only way to have 1Password match will be to manually add the second domain or if you want open-and-fill then the full URL. I don't see us changing this as it's to do with protecting against phishing attempts. For the vast majority of cases the typical user will only ever want 1Password to match for the same domain the item was saved on and to refuse to fill on anything that doesn't match. I can't see us making it trivially easy to do either because this is an area where the right move is to make the user question if this is something they should be doing. I can see how this doesn't feel great with your very specific use case but phishing attempts are very real and if 1Password can do something to try and protect the user it should. After all we're all human and even an experienced person can have a momentarily lapse which is when you appreciate guards in place.

I hope our reasoning makes sense even if it isn't the answer you hoped for.

• logopogo
    logopogo
    Community Member

Thanks for your detailed response @littlebobbytables and I totally understand and appreciate the reasoning here.
    As a follow-up question then, is there a limit to how many URLs can be added to a password item?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@logopogo: Hmm. That's a good question. There may be a technical limit, perhaps due to the total size of the item, but I don't know what that would be and you're unlikely to hit it. As an example, old local vaults had a hard item size limit of 256KB. The only time I ran into that was testing: intentionally creating Secure Notes with large amounts of text (novellas) in them. I haven't encountered anything like that with 1Password accounts. I've also got some Login items with dozens of URLs saved, again for testing. It's unlikely that you'll have quite so many, but if you do you will probably run into performance issues scrolling since the data would need to be decrypted on the fly and displayed long before you are unable to add more URLs. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.