Preview linked PDF attachment inside 1Password

Hello, would it be possible to implement this feature request:

Can we please have 1Password preview PDF files within 1Password itself? Out of security reasons, I do not want to have to download and save the PDF on my computer to view the file. Very often I have forgotten to delete the PDF and that's how secure information is leaked out.

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It certainly would be nice, but what you're asking for has big problems and probably won't happen. We'd need to either:

1. Write our own viewers for a wide variety of file types (potentially more secure, but infeasible)
    2. Add 3rd party code for viewing file formats to 1Password (somewhat secure since the files could still stay in 1Password, but also risky since it would be someone else's code)
    3. Utilize 1st or 3rd party viewers to display inline (maybe feasible, but then the files would still need to be decrypted in order for external software to process them -- thus negating your request)

That sounds dire, but I think it's important to put this in perspective: if your machine is compromised, the rest doesn't matter. Data isn't going to get magically "leaked out"; you'd either need to "leak" it yourself, or get your system into a state where something/someone else could. So long as you're practicing good security hygiene and being mindful of these things, as it seems you are, the practical risks are fairly minimal.

• msxtj
    msxtj
    Community Member

@brenty

Regarding 2: There is numerous open-source code that could be re-used, so you could also inspect the code for security issues. It could be be most basic PDF viewer ever supporting only the common types and simplest PDF format (i.e unencrypted PDF, etc). That way, I completely avoid having to save the PDF somewhere on my machine, which is what I absolutely want to avoid.

Have a look yourself, you already have a PNG previewer. Attach a PNG and you'll see that the PNG can be previewed. Extend that code, and allow simple PDFs to be previewed too.

My machine is generally secure. My request is pretty clear though: All data within 1Password remains within 1Password. When 1Password's vault is locked, all the data is locked up.

In the current scenario, that would mean a stray PDF is still out there, somewhere on the machine.

• @msxtj: It's not that we're completely and totally opposed to something like this by any means, we just don't have a method that we're happy with. The image previewer uses existing .NET resources, but for PDFs Windows uses Edge as its viewer – not something we can integrate into 1Password. Even auditing someone else's code is a significant project and one that may end up fruitless if it's not up to security standards. Right now, we don't have any specific plans for PDF previews, so we can't (and won't) promise it will happen, even if it is something we all would like to see on day.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2018

Regarding 2: There is numerous open-source code that could be re-used, so you could also inspect the code for security issues. It could be be most basic PDF viewer ever supporting only the common types and simplest PDF format (i.e unencrypted PDF, etc). That way, I completely avoid having to save the PDF somewhere on my machine, which is what I absolutely want to avoid.

@msxtj: No. Open source code is not infallible. And as you can imagine issues in even popular (as an understatement) packages like Apache, OpenSSL, GlibC, MySQL, and the Linux kernel can go unnoticed because vetting someone else's code is both difficult and time-consuming, and it's easy to overlook things. So essentially you're volunteering us to employ additional developers tasked solely with doing ongoing code reviews of other people's software for a relatively small convenience gain: viewing within 1Password itself. That doesn't seem at all reasonable at this time, but we'll continue to evaluate things as time goes on.

On the flipside, it's trivial for you to secure-erase free space on your machine after saving a file locally to view. If you believe you are at risk of your machine being broken into and device encryption being circumvented, I suggest you do that, as it's totally possible today.

Have a look yourself, you already have a PNG previewer. Attach a PNG and you'll see that the PNG can be previewed. Extend that code, and allow simple PDFs to be previewed too.

No. We don't. That's #3: a Windows feature. If Microsoft adds a similar capability for PDFs, we'll probably use that.

My machine is generally secure. My request is pretty clear though: All data within 1Password remains within 1Password. When 1Password's vault is locked, all the data is locked up. In the current scenario, that would mean a stray PDF is still out there, somewhere on the machine.

I understand. But while you may not like my answer, I think it was pretty clear as well. If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

• palmino
    palmino
    Community Member

I'd like to second msxtJ's proposal. Although I do understand your concerns, there's another reason for me: convienience. Most of the times I just want to look something up quickly, so having to save, open and erase securely a pdf on a PC is a bit tedious.
    How come you've managed to integrate a pdf-reader on iOS then?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Convenience is important, but security should not be a slave to it. If we can find a way to offer something like this in the future securely though (as I mentioned above, having an OS-level viewer framework helps in the case of images) I'm sure we will. :)

• msxtj
    msxtj
    Community Member

Apparently Windows had APIs for it since a long time ago.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/archive/msdn-magazine/2013/december/windows-8-1-rendering-pdf-content-in-windows-store-apps

Can we have the feature implemented? Viewing the PDFs inside the app is much better than the cumbersome steps of saving externally, then making sure you delete the PDF afterwards.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

1Password is not a Windows Microsoft Store app. Everything I said above still applies. :)

• msxtj
    msxtj
    Community Member

What about PNGs? At least images, there are native Windows APIs for that, right?

• We already support JPG, PNG, GIF and BMP image previews, @msxtj, so long as they're smaller than 1MB. You'll find the option, including what previews are supported, in Settings > General. :+1:

• msxtj
    msxtj
    Community Member

@bundtkate Ah, the reason why I haven't seen any images rendered is because all my scans are > 1MB. To reduce the size, I made PDFs but then we have the "issue" that I need to see the PDFs outside 1Password, which is undesirable. It happened several times that I forgot to delete some banking documents after I had exported them to some temporary folder.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I hear you. I've done that too. Hopefully there will be a more seamless and secure way of doing this in the future. :)

This discussion has been closed.