Constantly asking for master password.

jsamuelson
jsamuelson
Community Member

Especially on my iPad (with TouchID) autofill in Safari almost always asks for my master password which is long and complex and extremely irritating to type (which I appreciate is the point).

However, I have not set the app to lock on exit, auto lock is at one hour, and it seems more than half the time it doesn’t even ask for TouchID to authenticate autofill but asks for the master password.

Is there a logic issue here? Do the app settings not apply to autofill? Why is it asking for the master every time?

It’s getting to the point where I am simply saving oft used login into keychain as it works reliably with TouchID. I’d rather not do that and obviously it doesn’t provide 2fa password copying.

Any tips? Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jsamuelson: Indeed, 1Password's settings do not apply to the OS. I've found that my Master Password was required several times after setting it up, but since then it's Touch ID every time. Others have reported different results though. I think I'd prefer to have neither if I've already done one or the other within a few minutes, but iOS 12 Password Autofill is not something we have control over ourselves. It may be worth a try to re-setup autofill though.

• jsamuelson
    jsamuelson
    Community Member

@brenty It seems totally random but more often it asks for the master password. I’ve actually just disabled 1Password autofill just now as it’s incredibly disruptive to my workflow to have to type out the passphrase so often.

When you say re-setup autofill, you mean just untick the options in iOS settings or is there some process?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jsamuelson: I'd say turn it off and then turn it back on again. But it's a fairly new feature, and not well-documented. There may also be bugs that would account for the different experiences people are having with it. But on balance I think it's still a huge benefit, and it seems popular enough that I'm sure Apple will iron out any rough edges in time. :)

• Hi @jsamuelson

Do you have 1Password > Settings > Advanced > Security > Always show lock screen for Password AutoFill enabled? If not please try enabling that and see if that works any better w/r/t Password AutoFill unlocking.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.