To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

How do I export my vault directly from 1password.com

Options
4EverMaAT
4EverMaAT
Community Member
edited November 2018 in Memberships

I am logged into 1password.com How do I:

• download a complete copy of my vault?
  • export a complete copy of my vault in csv/xml format?

I can view the contents of the vault and it seems I can also edit the contents via the browser. But I do not see the "export" or "download vault" buttons.

1Password Version: 7.2.581
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: win8.1 x64
Sync Type: 1password.com

Comments

• Hi @4EverMaAT,
    This is not possible using the web app (my.1password.com) but if you use either of our Mac, Windows or Androids apps you can export your data using them.

• hartz
    hartz
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I am also looking to export the contents of my vault, preferably as a CSV. I use 1Password X with the browser extension, and don't have access to a Windows or Mac machine. I cannot find an option to export from within the extension. How can I do this?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hartz: That isn't possible. As Benji mentioned above, the web interface (which 1Password X also depends on) does not have a file export capability. You'd need to do it using one of the desktop apps, both of which support CSV. You could do that in a VM, even if you don't run one of those OSes normally.

• Ben
    Options

@4EverMaAT

We do not currently offer a local backup option for 1Password memberships. Backups are created and stored on 1Password.com. Data is also cached locally on each device you use one of our native 1Password apps on (1Password for Mac, 1Password for Windows, 1Password for iOS, and 1Password for Android). This cache allows you to use 1Password even if you (or we) are offline. Attempting to restore the cache files as a means of recovering data is not recommended -- they are a cache, not a backup.

We are looking into how we can best offer a "local backup" considering the model that we've build, but it isn't an easy problem to solve, and of course if we're going to offer it we want to make sure it is done right.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I can verify this because......?????

@4EverMaAT: I'd argue that "local backup" is an oxymoron. But anyway, it's actually probably easier to verify that 1Password.com is backing up the data than with any local backups you try to maintain. I know very few people who actually test their local backups regularly, if ever. Just sign into your account on 1Password.com in your browser and view item history, or archived items in the Trash.

I've commented before that users should have more autonomy on how to control their backups. One of the largest drawbacks of 1p7 is the storage of the vault is more hidden from the user.

Only if someone steals your devices and account credentials and hides them from you.

i still think that users should have easy access to the vault files. A simple list of the backup history with links to the vault file(s) compressed (7z/zip) would work for 1password.com

You can zip whatever you want, but given that such software already exists and isn't relevant for 1Password use, we don't provide that ourselves.

The vaults belong to the user.

Yup. We cannot ever access them, or grant anyone else access, including you if you lock yourself out. And you can access all of your data -- even previous versions of items, and deleted ones -- in your account. Try it. ;)

• smedley_butler2396
    Options

Thought that I would chime in here. As someone that runs Linux, it's disappointing that in order to export OUR passwords, we need to have access to either a Windows PC or a Mac.

Under the security section of your website it states "Lock up your data, but don't get locked in". That's not really true is it, since we don't have the means of exporting the data.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We should have access to our own vault files from 1password.com. This is not asking too much IMO.

@4EverMaAT: You do. Just sign into your account. Even if you do not have an active membership, and the account is "frozen", that just makes the data read only so you can still access it.

I trust 1password.com but i also trust other forms of storage. I dont understand why you would even design the vault so that the enduser has no access to it. I dont want access to everyones vault, just my own. Edit: i guess the only option is to backup the local cache. But someone mentioned earlier that it isnt a true backup of the vault.

You can certainly do that. The data is the same, and the only reason it shouldn't be considered as a backup is there is no restore mechanism for cache data. Otherwise it's no different than the local database in the app if you were not using a 1Password.com account.

Our focus is on automatic offsite backup since that ensures that all 1Password members have a backup, since almost no one will even think of it until it's too late. I'm glad that the importance of backup is something you're aware of, but it would be naive of us to expect the same of everyone else. We know better from experience. And all of our data is important enough to have professionals manage how it's stored. When my appendix made an assassination attempt from inside, I didn't self-medicate; I went to the hospital. I guess I can't speak for everyone, but my data is only marginally less important to me than my life at this point. Food for thought.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@smedley_butler2396: I agree that it would be better if we had an export facility in the 1Password.com web interface, and it's certainly something we'd like to build in the future. Regardless, as I mentioned above, we do not lock up your data: even without an active membership you can access it. We do offer several ways to export, and you're free to use them; but I'm sorry that you're not able to avail yourself of those because of your choice of software/hardware. Hopefully we'll be able to add even more options in the future though.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@4EverMaAT: We don't have a native Linux client, and the 1Password.com web app doesn't have export because we haven't built that feature. It's something that would need our full attention since it would deal with unencrypted user data. It really needs to be done right the first time.

• smedley_butler2396
    Options

Thanks for the reply brenty. I hope that this is something that will be added in the future. I've been using 1Password X for a couple of days now and other than this issue I'm really enjoying using it. It works quite well at just about every place that I've used it, so it's obvious that a lot of time and energy went into making it.

Bitwarden is able to do this from their/his (one man show I believe, not really sure) browser app, so it looks like doing something like this is definitely possible. Hopefully, you will be able to dedicate some resources to it in the future.

Keep up the good work!

• Ben
    Options

It is definitely not impossible. It is a matter of finding the time to design and implement it correctly. :)

Ben

• wavesound
    wavesound
    Community Member
    Options

I'd like to chime in here and add that a more robust local backup option is a must since this is critical data. Offline recovery is an essential part of the procedure we recommend to our clients and using 1Password Accounts does make that process more difficult than when we use local vaults. We need to be able to restore their data from a complete system failure (including a failure of 1Password.com) so making it easy to export/backup data is essential. I appreciate the professional management, but more flexibility needs to be added to making 1Password vaults easy to backup/export as an additional safeguard.

• It is worth noting that 1Password does keep a local copy of your data encrypted by your Master Password and Secret Key incase 1Password.com is unavailable at the time of accessing your data. That way you're never without access to your data if you're signed in to 1Password on your device(s), regardless of having an active membership or have stopped paying for a membership. As others have said above, designing and engineering something that deals with unencrypted user data requires the most critical of attention as keeping customer data extremely safe is vitally important to us. We're only going to provide something to users, if it is done correctly, first time around. We respect you and your data far too highly than to potentially release something that we do not deem worthy, first time around.

This discussion has been closed.